Civ Rev for DS was disapointing :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ijuin
    One thing that particularly bothered me was that the "unique units" that each civilization had were not at all unique. Sure they had names that were flavored for the civilization that owned them, but they had the same stats as the "ordinary" versions of the units. What's the point of having a Samurai if it is indistinguishable from a Knight except for the name?
    The UUs do have bonuses. Read here for the details. Be sure to read the "Bonuses" column to find the UU bonus.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

I just got it and am happy I did. The points in the OP are valid: there are some UI issues, and I find I have to use both the stylus and the buttons, but what did you expect? This is the DS; there have to be some compromises.

I would also point out that some of the button assignments are quirky; for example the way the A button works has caused me some painful errors. I got used to pressing it to get back to scroll mode, but if you have the current unit's GoTo cursor set, then the unit moves - ARGH!

But overall this is exactly what I expected, especially after reading some of the posts here. So count me as a happy camper.

Comment

I believe your mistaken the Bonuses column there is the civilizations bonus not the Unique Units bonus.

Comment

The unique units have distinct names, but in the DS version at least, their stats (construction price, attack, defense, movement, promotion rate, etc) are the same as the non-unique equivalents. For example, Japan gets the Zero fighter plane, but it is only cosmetically distinct from the regular fighter plane.
          Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Well, the UU unit bonuses are in the era bonuses.
            "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
            I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
            --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

I'm sorely disappointed in Civ Rev for the DS, it's so fast and directionless.

I never feel like my decisions are anchored in the context of the wider world, as they do in Civ 4.

I don't know which techs I'll be first to for the bonus, I don't know which cities are well defended, I don't know when a wonder will be obsolete and so on.

Experience would teach some of this, but I really don't feel like acquiring it.

Some things, like culture being measured per population, are very nice but overall, I think I prefer Civ III.
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

It's a good game. In some ways it reminds me of CIV1 but with deeper strategies.

I agree though that some of the presentation is awkward. For instance at the end of the turn I just can't use the pen to click on terrain and get some feedback. I only can do that between unit moves and even then the information is not clear.

I'm really enjoyinjg this game though, but am conscious that the version on other systems maybe easier to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Vercingettyrex
                  It's a good game. In some ways it reminds me of CIV1 but with deeper strategies.

I agree though that some of the presentation is awkward. For instance at the end of the turn I just can't use the pen to click on terrain and get some feedback. I only can do that between unit moves and even then the information is not clear.

I'm really enjoyinjg this game though, but am conscious that the version on other systems maybe easier to use.
                  The game DESIGN is really good. Everything from the techs to the combat system passing through the culture points or the resource system is quite good. Even more if we have in mind their goal to make the game fast and (to certain degree) simple.

But the game INTERFACE is horrible, ugly and very difficult to use.

This game does not make justice to the DS. Almost every game in the DS market has a better interface.

I am not complaining about the game design. I complain about the DS implementation.
                  "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                  "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

The game is very good. As has been described it's a beer and pretzel version. But it's mechanics are good. I've now played it about 20 times and I've encountered at least one game that stands the test of time or at least was a memorable experience set against almost 15 years of playing CIV in different incarnations.

Like the previous poster though I would have to say the presentation is flawed. The two screens on the DS are not used to their best. So excellent game but could have been packaged better.

Comment

i got this yesterday and, for me, this game has that one more turn feeling too it.

the game is a bit ugly, and i dont know what the techs, units, wonders etc do because I cant find a civilopedia but I will learn in time.

I prefer smaller and faster games in PC civ. To me this game feels like civ 1, with its speed and top down view, in addition to having the new features that have worked well in the newer civ games, culture, hit points etc.

And you cant go wrong with the old school space race
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                      X