CivRev vs Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivRev vs Civ4

AOL-powered PC gaming site BigDownload has posted an article comparing the recently released Civilization: Revolution for the consoles with it's latest PC counterpart Civilization IV. Editor Xav de Matos sums up the notion of CivRev succintly:

Comparing Civilization Revolution to Civ4 feels like going to the groceries. There's a set list of what you expect to get but sometimes you notice something you imagine you'd want. Specifically, a simple Civilization was never on our minds.

De Matos concludes that CivRev's much smaller world and tech tree are no match for Civ4, although on the whole the gameplay holds up pretty well, even if it's a bit watered down.

The end result changes the feel of the game dramatically. While Civilization always felt like a extremely controllable game where you played king, CivRev is very streamlined and feels like a god-game. Want a road between two cities? Pay for it and *poof!* there it is. No build wait, not worker units. It just appears. Quick and painless.

He goes on to explain how well the control scheme was tranlated to the console and how the more playful art and advisors add greatly to the game, although the advisor dialogue drive[s] you mad. The author concludes that CivRev is one of the best strategy experiences on a console, but that PC gamers aren't missing out on anything as the game isn't aimed at them, it's for a different audience. Read the full article on BigDownload.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Yep, Civ4 trumps CivRev for sure. However, the 20 minutes I had to wait on the nurse to check my son's allergy shot flew by today. Could this be the result of CivRev on the DS? I think so!
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

CivRev has already drawn one of my buddies into Civ. It's got to be viewed as a spinoff more than a sequel.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

" Want a road between two cities? Pay for it and *poof!*"

That is exactly one of the reasons why I like CIV R. The game is just as much about choices as CIV4 and previous versions.

With workers do I choose to irrigate, build roads or dig mines. Here I have to choose at what point I can afford to
        link my army city with it's barracks to the other cities.

I would have preferred that this decision is forced on me several times with the advent of the railroad and the automobile, but in some ways I prefer it to the worker decision. The latter being important at the beginning of the game but often a chore through most of it.

Comment

Surely the point of it is Civ Mobile - nothing better to while away the long train ride or wait in the restaurant.

CivRev on the DS is a game 'in the style of', and I think is adapted well from the source material. Sure there are niggles, but being able to while away the hours out in the park or on holiday is fantastic.

Comment

12 hour plane flights
            12 hour plane flights with CivRev on DS

Comment

Working...
            X