X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivRev for Wii... on hold

Which redirects to the following article on IGN:

Text:
    January 28, 2008 - Many months ago publisher 2K Games and developer Firaxis jointly announced that a Wii build of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution was underway alongside Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo DS incarnations. However, 2K Games confirmed to IGN Wii today that the Wii iteration of the real-time strategy game has been put on indefinite hold.

"Development for the Wii version of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is currently on hold," a spokesperson for 2K Games said. "We are focusing our attention on creating the best possible Civilization experience for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo DS platforms."

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution offers players a chance to experience the epic empire-building world of Civilization in an all new accessible, visually immersive, and action-packed world specifically designed for the console and handheld gamer. There are 16 civilizations to master and lead to victory, with an array of famous historical leaders to play as or compete against, and accessible maps and streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action.

In happier news, the DS build of the game is still very much underway. In fact, IGN readers can check out our exclusive interview with the developer and first DS screenshots on our DS-loving sister site right now.

Looking at some of those DS screens...

"Tank vs Ninja" .......

One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

And there it goes, no Civ Rev for a home consol to me. Bought a Wii for Galaxy I am not going to buy a 360 or a PS3 for CivRev
      What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Same here, no Rev for me now.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

However, 2K Games confirmed to IGN Wii today that the Wii iteration of the real-time strategy game has been put on indefinite hold.

Uhmmm what's that... CivRev is still a TBS.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

But looking at some of the videos, the turns are rather transparant. I can see how someone, especially someone who's job it is to cover Wii games and is quite possibly unfamiliar with the Civ franchise, might get confused on that point.

As for the Wii put on hold, I'll bet that there will still be a Wii version at some point. Unless it completely bombs on the other systems.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I guess this means no CivRev for me. (Well, maybe the DS version woud still do it, if I decide to buy a DS (Phantom Hourglass is tempting, but I'm not sure I have the time to play it.)
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                Looking at some of those DS screens...

"Tank vs Ninja" .......

that text actually made me pause, too. it's actually a Spy, if you read the screenshot itself. Ninja is an upgrade! (Although Ninja Spies are really cool, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                  I guess this means no CivRev for me. (Well, maybe the DS version woud still do it, if I decide to buy a DS (Phantom Hourglass is tempting, but I'm not sure I have the time to play it.)
                  Phantom Hourglass is definitely a great game. I just finished it last week. Worthy of purchase.
                  "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                  I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                  --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

a bit more explanation on the hold.

too bad, I would expect this to sell much better on the wii than the other two systems, based on demographics. it would play extremely well with the parents who grew up with civ and have a wii due to its family friendlyness.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

too bad, I would expect this to sell much better on the wii than the other two systems, based on demographics. it would play extremely well with the parents who grew up with civ and have a wii due to its family friendlyness.
                      I don't now if it would sell that much better on Wii BUT with a possible userbase of aorund 30 million WW next fall I would say they are wasting a big market.
                      What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

I don't know that it would do better on a wii. A turn based strategy isn't exactly something that takes advantage of the wii's motion sensing capability. Doesn't bother me, I planned to get it on XBOX360, not the wii. It is curious that EBGames put back the estimated release date for the XBOX version to 6/02/08.

Comment

I haven't had the oppurtunity to use a WII yet, but I would think that the motion sensor and pointer would translate well as a replacement for a mouse. Its too bad they're not pursuing it, my friends that have WII's all complain about the lack of games (other than the primary big names).
                          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Technically you could, but the wiimote is not the easiest device to use for pointing and clicking. The wii does have two USB ports though that they claim that you can attach a keyboard to though.

Comment

Working...
                            X