UU Idea for Americans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UU Idea for Americans!

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, somewhere. But how about the M1A1 Abrahms Tank as an American UU? I think it would be much more useful than the F15. It would obviously replace the Modern Armor unit. For some, perhaps it would come too late in the game. But regardless, I think it would be a fun unit to have. Any comments? I was thinking it would have either an extra attack point, or extra movement point. I'm not sure how it compares to other modern tanks, perhaps someone could enlighten me on that.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

It's not a bad idea.

I think a special ops team would be a good idea.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Re: UU Idea for Americans!

Originally posted by Sava
      I'm sure this has been mentioned before, somewhere. But how about the M1A1 Abrahms Tank as an American UU? I think it would be much more useful than the F15. It would obviously replace the Modern Armor unit. For some, perhaps it would come too late in the game. But regardless, I think it would be a fun unit to have. Any comments? I was thinking it would have either an extra attack point, or extra movement point. I'm not sure how it compares to other modern tanks, perhaps someone could enlighten me on that.
      I would increase the offense and defense values, and the shield cost. The movement should stay the same. The higher offensive value is do to superb electronics, sensors, and targetting systems. The higher defensive value is due to the advanced composite armor employed.

However, I personally feel that the Abrams is only the 2nd-best tank in the world. The British Challenger is generally considered the best-protected NATO tank (the British invented the composite armor used on the Abrams), and it's other systems are just as good as the ones on the Abrams. Therefore, if you were to add the Abrams as an American UU, you'd probably want to add the Challenger as well. I'd give it the same stats as the Abrams (I don't think the qualitative difference between the two would be noticable in Civ3).

If you don't want to do that, I think adding the Supercarrier as a UU would be a better idea. The United States has by far the most experience with carrier construction and warfare. Our Essex class was considered the best carrier design of its time (late WW2), and the same can be said of the Nimitz class today (and for the past 30 years that they've been around). In my personal mod, I'm going to change the current carrier graphic to the American Supercarrier UU, and add a smaller carrier design for the rest of the world (probably 2, maybe 3 transport capacity).

Comment

I've always sided with the Supercarrier as the best UU representation for America, or even the B52s which were built 40 years ago and just got through bombing Iraq. That's a long lifespan for a weapon. But the Abrams has merit also.

Comment

Re: Re: UU Idea for Americans!

Originally posted by Noble713

However, I personally feel that the Abrams is only the 2nd-best tank in the world. The British Challenger is generally considered the best-protected NATO tank (the British invented the composite armor used on the Abrams), and it's other systems are just as good as the ones on the Abrams. Therefore, if you were to add the Abrams as an American UU, you'd probably want to add the Challenger as well. I'd give it the same stats as the Abrams (I don't think the qualitative difference between the two would be noticable in Civ3).
          There seem to be so many "best" tanks .

M1A2
          Weight - 69.54 Tons
          Main Gun - 120mm
          Max Speed - 67kph

Challenger 2
          weight - 62.5
          Main Gun - 120mm
          Max Speed - 56kph

Just some main facts I found about these 2 tanks, not sure whether they are true, did not check with more than one source, just jotted down the first I found. Atleast it looks as if the abrams is noticably faster than the challenger 2 despite being a bit heavier as well.

Other seem to claim the leopard 2 is best, my personal favorite is the Israeli Merkavah... looks nice I think.

Comment

I suggested the B-52 Stratofortress and the M1A1 Abrams Tank on my "Some Mod Ideas" thread. The B-52 should definitely be there since air power is a large part of the US military.
            "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
            but when there has been naming
            we should also know when to stop.
            Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

What about making a UU from Marines? This would trigger a Golden Age at about the appropriate time for America.

Comment

The M1A1's exceptional feature is its turbine engine, which is fast and quiet compared to disael tanks.

Comment

Hmm I wonder if one could make 2 UUs for every country, like one ancient or medieval UU and one industrial or modern...

Comment

This is what I suggest:
                    *Many of these UUs reflect the periods of time when these nations were at the heights of their power. These are additional UUs, so each nation would have 3 UUs.

Arabia
                    Camel Rider (replaces horseman)
                    Scimitar Swordsman (replaces medieval infantry)

China
                    Chu-ko-nu (replaces longbowman)
                    Tongkang (replaces frigate)

Japan
                    Ashigaru (replaces spearman)
                    ZERO Fighter (replaces fighter)

England
                    British Regular (replaces musketman)
                    Royal Marine (replaces marine)

America
                    B-52 Stratofortress (replaces bomber)
                    M1A1 Abrams Tank (replaces modern armor)

Russia
                    Red Army Infantry (replaces infantry)
                    IS3 Tank (replaces tank)

Korea
                    Hwarang (replaces longbowman)
                    Kobukson "Turtle Ship" (replaces frigate)

Aztecs
                    Atl-atl Slinger (new unit for Ancient Age)
                    Eagle Warrior (replaces warrior)
                    *Jaguar Warrior now replaces swordsman

Persians
                    Parthian Horse Archer (replaces horseman)
                    Sassanid Elephant (replaces knight)

Egyptians
                    Bireme (replaces galley)
                    Mameluke (replaces knight)

Germany
                    Teutonic Knight (replaces knight)
                    Focke-Wulf 190A-8 (replaces fighter)

Iroquois
                    Iroquois Scout (replaces scout, but scout can defend itself)
                    Native American Guerilla (replaces guerilla and has significant terrain bonus)

Mongolia
                    Nomad (settler with defense ability and 2 movement)
                    Mangudai (new unit; all terrain as roads advantage)
                    "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
                    but when there has been naming
                    we should also know when to stop.
                    Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

I think it should be a modern Marines unit - not one that replaces anything, but one that has an okay chance fighting alongside modern armor and mech infantry. It should come in the modern age, perhaps at the same time as mech infantry.

This Marines unit would upgrade from the Marine. It would be a good UU for the Americans because a) it can trigger a golden age at the perfect time - as America is at the pinnacle of its power. It would give the Americans a significant military advantage in the modern age, because they'd be able to make amphibious assaults feasible. This represents the current ability of the American military to project more force further than any other nation.

Comment

Many UU

Originally posted by Divvy
                        Hmm I wonder if one could make 2 UUs for every country, like one ancient or medieval UU and one industrial or modern...
                        From what I've seen so far you can make as many UU's as you want, One for each troop, just for graphic difference if you wanted (thats what I'm doing)
                        EFR RPG GAME Designer, E.F.R. Forums The Coyn: Fantasy Mod for Civ3:Conquests

Comment

Working...
                        X