No announcement yet.

Cold War Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well 31 isn't a perfect number, but with some muddling (especially in Africa and South America) I feel it can be done.

Cheers for your support, guys! I shall make an attempt to start this scenario in earnest tomorrow, basing it off the back of my previous scenario (to speed map development & city-placing) and taking things from there.

But I may need some help on finding new unit animations, where possible, for new tanks and aircraft. I believe there is a T55 and a B52 animation out there somewhere, and possibly more. Such things would prove very useful.

Comment

New wonders and/ or small wonders may also be in order, perhaps.

Sputnik for the Communists.
      The World Trade Centre for the democracies.
      Space Station as a small wonder (Mir?) and/ or the International Space Station as a great wonder, perhaps.

Others will have to be thought of.

Comment

looks really good....I reckon the WTC should be a great wonder. It could double the commerce rate of the city?...Aswell as a decent culture level? Happy creating Victor!
        I love PEPSI! (twitching and shivering profusely)

Comment

Well good news. I have been working hard and the WTC will definitely be in there.

Here's what I've been doing....

1) I have created new building types to identify different parts of the world. They cannot be built during the game (although I guess you could sell them if you were daft) but serve as identity tags. They comprise:
          *Western Europe Ident.
          *Europe Ident.
          *USSR Ident.
          *USA Ident.
          *North America Ident.
          *America Ident.
          *South America Ident.
          *Britain Ident.
          *China Ident.
          *India Ident.
          *Africa Ident.
          *Arab Ident.
          These are used to allow me to make improvements which can only be constructed in certain parts of the world. For example, the European Space Agency can only be built in Western Europe.

2) I have messed with wonders and small wonders quite significantly. I have added many, many more, both large and small, to do many things. A unique benefit of this is that wonders can be used as treaties so, for example, when the 'OPEC' wonder is completed the creation of OPEC will be announced to all and sundry. This is allowing me to give this game a nice historical feel as the formation of organisations and treaties in such a matter will occur throughout the game, following real-life events.
          A great many of these will be low-cost and will supply no real benefit, but they give the game a nice feel.

3) I have created organisations that the player can become a part of. So far I only have 4 organisations; CERN, the EU, COMECON and NAFTA. Once the appropriate wonder (eg 'Treaty for European Union') is completed somewhere, the players can build small wonders which give them 'membership', with certain benefits.

New wonders/ treaties/ organisations:

OPEC.
          Arab Monetary Fund.
          European Economic Community.
          Treaty for European Union/ Maastricht Treaty.
          World Trade Organisation.
          International Bank for Economic Cooperation. (IBEC; communist bloc.)
          International Investment Bank. (Same thing as before.)
          Council for Mutual Economic Assistance (COMECON).
          Islamic Development Bank.
          North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
          African Development Bank.
          Latin American Integration Association.
          Alliance for Progress.
          Southern African Development Community.
          Tokamak Fusion Reactor.
          ITER Reactor.
          Sputnik.
          Explorer.
          Skylab.
          Mir.
          International Space Station.
          Commonwealth Secretariat.
          CERN.
          Proton Synchrotron.
          LEP Collider.
          European Space Agency.
          European Central Bank.
          CERN Membership.
          Single Currency Membership.
          EU Membership.
          COMECON Membership.
          NAFTA Membership.

More will come in good time, and I shall put plenty of stuff in the Civilopedia so that everyone can read the history and stuff too.

But if anyone wants to make some nice graphics for the splash screens for the above, I would be very, very, very grateful.
          Last edited by victorhadin; April 10, 2003, 08:20.

Comment

A few other ideas for treaties/important events or buildings/organizations of the era for improvement ideas:

Amnesty International(anywhere in western world?)
            Berlin Wall(german)
            Cultural Revoultion(small? wonder, communist only)
            Marshall Plan(US)

Hmmm...those were a few that made sense to me. Hopefully you will like them.
            A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
            -V. I. Lenin

Comment

Wonder: "Cult of Personality"!
              "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
              but when there has been naming
              we should also know when to stop.
              Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Originally posted by Azeem
                Wonder: "Cult of Personality"!
                I was thinking of suggesting this one too.
                A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
                -V. I. Lenin

Comment

This scenario would have been so much easier with an events.txt.... a few years ago i attemtped to make a scenario very similar to this for civ2... made alot of graphics files and events and labels and such, but when it got down to the nitty gritty, i gave up heh. yeah just my little side note.

good luck with this though, i would certainly be interested in playing it.

Comment

I've been considering making a cold war scenario forever. I was thinking of making one on a northern hemisphere only map, but couldn't find one/make one.
                    Civilization3
                    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
                    If the problem persists, please contact the program vendor.
                    Blah!

Comment

I think the ultimate cold war scenario would be made on a polar projection done all the way down to the equator at the corners, but that might be very difficult to create.
                      Civilization3
                      Blah!

Comment

You are quite free to help in creating this scenario if you wish, Krayzeenbk.

I will, in any case, be quite busy this next couple of months, and so this scenario will progress fairly slowly, even though almost all cities and transport infrastructure are already in place.

My Email addy is victorhadin@yahoo.com if you wish to take part.
                        Last edited by victorhadin; April 13, 2003, 09:38.

Comment

The editor doesn't support many of the things I'd like to put into a cold war scenario, another reason why I'm reluctant to start
                          Civilization3
                          Blah!

Comment

Working...
                          X