Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to civ3 -- noticed some problems

Hello,

I'm just brand new to civ3 and I had a chance to play my first full game (which was at chieftan level on a huge map with 8 players). I noticed a few problems that troubled me a little. I downloaded the patch too.

First, by the time the game ended at 2050, my civilization only made it to the industrial period (the other civilizations were roughly at the same level too). Is there an option to change the end of game year?

Second, none of the other nations ever went to war with each other. I decided to be like Switzerland and never went to war nor establish alliances. Throughout the whole game, nobody ever swung a sword a fired a shot at each other.

Did these problems occur because I was on chieftan level? Anybody else have these difficulties?

And third, I played part of a few games with 16 players. On the foreign advisor screen, I only see 8 civs. How can I establish diplomatic ties with the other civs and see how their relations are with other civs?

You should have gotten past the industrial era but if you need more time just make a scenario and then go to the scenario properties, you can change the time setting there.

That doesn't happen all the time. However if you want the civs more agressive go to the editor and in the rules pages under civilizations there is an agression slider.

Hit Shift and right click to see more civs.

Some of it is chieftan level things but most of it is that you have just started playing. Read some articles in the strat forum and post any questions you have and soon you will get better.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Re: New to civ3 -- noticed some problems

Originally posted by NÃŽght_shade
      Is there an option to change the end of game year?
      No, however in PTW you do have the option of adjusting the time per turn, so you can basically double the total turns in the game. Be warned: doing this requires a great deal of fiddling with various parameters in order to get your timeline right, if that happens to be a concern.

Second, none of the other nations ever went to war with each other. I decided to be like Switzerland and never went to war nor establish alliances. Throughout the whole game, nobody ever swung a sword a fired a shot at each other.

Did these problems occur because I was on chieftan level? Anybody else have these difficulties?
      Although that can happen in a game, if you let it, one of the reasons it did is your level. It's certainly not the norm higher up. It also depends a lot on which civs you're up against, some are more peaceful, while others always seem to be on some sort of rampage against their neighbours.

Comment

Re: Re: New to civ3 -- noticed some problems

Originally posted by Willem
        No, however in PTW you do have the option of adjusting the time per turn, so you can basically double the total turns in the game. Be warned: doing this requires a great deal of fiddling with various parameters in order to get your timeline right, if that happens to be a concern.
        I have PTW, but I can't seem to find that option. How were you able to do that? Is that in the editor?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: New to civ3 -- noticed some problems

I have PTW, but I can't seem to find that option. How were you able to do that? Is that in the editor?
          Yes, in the Scenario Properties area.

Comment

Re: New to civ3 -- noticed some problems

First, by the time the game ended at 2050, my civilization only made it to the industrial period (the other civilizations were roughly at the same level too). Is there an option to change the end of game year?
            Don't worry about this. In subsequent games you will get much better at managing your empire and your research so you will get through the modern era and launch your spaceship. (I think I was still in the industrial age at the end of my first game but in a subsequent chieftain game I was able to launch my spaceship before the other civs reached the industrial age).

At chieftain, you can expect the other civs would be unlikely to get through the industrial period. In other words, when you get the hang of chieftain (or warlord), you have to do all research yourself because no one else will have any technology to sell you at chieftain level. At higher difficulty levels you can (and must) trade technologies. (I prefer Regent myself).

Also, it is not so unusual for there to be worldwide peace at chieftain (no one has much to fight with). The wars increase as the difficulty level increases (heaps of war and huge armies at emperor and deity).

Last edited by Egbert; March 20, 2003, 18:56.

Comment

Yeah, when you feel ready, take the difficulty up a notch - you should have no trouble getting yourself into a war, whether you intended to or not.

Comment

New to civ3 -- noticed some problems

Of course, everyone did. One comment:

"Dont look at the bugs, there are many, just enjoy the game the way it is."
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                X