Sea Roads and new strat resource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Roads and new strat resource

Not sure if anyone has managed to get Mines and Roads to be built on Ocean, sea and coast squares yet but with a bit of fiddling on my part I've managed to do it.

It all started when I created a new Sea Oil strategic resource and needed a way to link it to my city. I got the resource to work and then edited the galley unit to be able to build roads, mines and irrigation on sea squares.

All I had to do then was edit the terraform info for the Ocean,sea and coast squares. (Set terrain bonuses to any number above 0.)

This setup actually works quite well not sure how the AI will use it have to test it more .

All thats needed now is to edit the road pics so that they look like the adv roads from CTP or mabey add a pipeline to the side of the road.

Also add build city tag to the terrain not sure if its needed but I have it tagged.
    Attached Files

The AI isn't going to have a clue how to use all that, so you've just given yourself one hell of an advantage.

Comment

the AI should be able to use the build road function of the galley to connect the resource. hopefully.

Comment

The AI can't do anything with those commands unless they're all selected. You can't just pick and choose. You either have to have everyhting checked or the the Worker ship will just sit there when you ty to automate it. So you'll also need to have irrigation, clear forests etc. selected as well in order for the AI to recognize it as a Worker ship, providing it even understands that it's not a land unit and uses it appropriately.

Comment

I tried this awhile back - the AI has no clue how to use this AND the roads will act as bridges allowing land units to walk on water without being related to any deity. The same is true for water cities.

While this could have some uses in a Mulitplayer scenario, it is useless against the AI unless you enjoy cheating. It would be nice if Civ3 had better support for this, but they are more into history than sci-fi. Another reason why SMAC rules!
          Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
          Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
          I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Who cares if the AI can use it. It is still a good idea for MP. BTW can foot units cross those roads and if you did a plant forest the ocean would become land, right?

Also, SMAC does rule!
            For your photo needs:
            http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik
              Who cares if the AI can use it. It is still a good idea for MP.
              For MP I agree this would be interesting, just not SP.

BTW can foot units cross those roads
              I am pretty sure you could - I will play with it tonight.

and if you did a plant forest the ocean would become land, right?
              I don't think so - I think you would have a forest sprouting out of the ocean. Again I will try this out tonight.

All in all this does have som MP possibilities if you are creative enough, but in SP it will give you a huge boon.
              Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
              Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
              I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

When I tried to allow water roads in Civ 3, it would allow Workers to build them on water, but I couldn't use them to move troops across them; same thing for allowing water cities; ground troops couldn't remain in them unless loaded aboard ships.

Comment

I did this months ago too, it was useless for transportation across water, and water cities are kind of antiCIV and proSMAC. I wish we could build bridges, but we can't, and as far as allowing access to water oil, that's all you can really do with it.

Comment

i still say what colonies should have harbors / airports built into them (dpending on your technology). that way, you could drop colonies in the ocean to pick up oil, without roading to them.

it would also allow you to REALLY have colonies on islands, without a city nearby to connect it

ever see iron on a 1 island mountain? UGH!
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                    X