UnZIP it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnZIP it

OK, a little embarrassing here, but I'm having trouble getting the text files that are hyper-linked in the posts here. When I try to open them (from my PC or from the web-site), my system automatically uses MS Excel and gives me a screen of garbage. Opening the files manually from Word produces the same garbage, as they are apparently still compressed.

I can't find anything with help searches in Windows or here at 'Poly. Could someone tell me how to view these files?

I'm running Win98 SE.

Thanks.
    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

You need a utility like WinZip or WinRar in order to uncompress them first. Do a Google search and you should be able to find something, or maybe go to ZDNet and look for something there that will do the job. There's probably a number of other programs other than what I mentioned.

Comment

Winzip.com

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ah, yes. I used to be able to unzip with a right-click, and it must have been a socket that disappeared with new OS installs. I found Freezip and it works fine so far.

Alva, is it worth paying for this Winzip just for personal home use?

Thanks again.
        Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Nah, not really

AT least I don't..
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
          X