Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killeee Computer!

Well, folks...what's up?

My disk isn't starting, though the little yellow light may blink...once. Then, it stops for good. I sit there for about half an hour, foolin' with the thing, and it still doesn't work. I restart the computer...nothin'. Stick in another disk, it works...but then, CivIII doesn't.

Before I could put the thing out of it's misery, I realized that I could get some help here.

So...why isn't the disk working now, when it was working perfectly well Monday?

Thanks.
    Empire growing,
    Pleasures flowing,
    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Did you upgrade using the latest patch on a non US PTW version?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

so whats not working? a hard disk or a cdrom?
      I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

He's talking about the CD-rom I think.
        Installing the wrong patch can result in this, since a different copy protection is used for the euro version opposed to the US one.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Seems like your CD is toast. Did you put it near a magnet or something. I did that by mistake once and that's exactly what happened to me.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Well...I did a little research...it seems now that none of my disks are working, period.

So...this means the CD Rom Drive is dead, not the disk. It might seem like good news...if the Drive wasn't more expensive to replace...bugger.

Thanks for your help.
            Empire growing,
            Pleasures flowing,
            Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
              Seems like your CD is toast. Did you put it near a magnet or something. I did that by mistake once and that's exactly what happened to me.

Spec.
              There's nothing magnetic on a CD-ROM. A floppy disk, that's another thing. The information on a CD-ROM is a series of "pits" which are changed by a dye (when the CD was created) that is under the surface of the CD. A CD-ROM Drive reads these "pits" with a laser that is in no way magnetically affected.

Comment

Working...
              X