Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ III sometimes work sometimes doesn't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ III sometimes work sometimes doesn't.

I have had civ III for 6 months and once in a while it stops working.

When I click on either the CD icon or the program itself, I get
    a "Insert the CD and click OK" message. This happens even though the
    CD is obviously in, but I can also hear it spinning. I am running native XP on a Vaio.

This CD works on other computers and my CD drive Burns and reads all
    other CD's. Please Help

Thank you

reboot when that happens. it'll clear up the problem.

same thing happes to me. it can be really annoying.
    I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

Thanks , but I do reboot it when this happens and it doesn't solve the problem. In fact this time round I also reinstalled the whole game (full version) to no avail.

Comment

bummer. that seems to work on my xp boxes. have you installed all the windows updates?

the other option would be to play the game w/o the cd. i cant tell you how to do that on the boards though the mods will spank me if i do.
        I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

Unless, you are putting in the CD and not allowing enough time for Windows to reconizge it. In other words, a CD will not start up right away because of Windows doing something else.

It is a slow operating system, sometimes with the CD.

If it is in the CD drive when starting up the computer then Windows will read it when Windows starts up, otherwise, it may take several seconds for the CD to get running (and I think it is due to windows and the CD being slower than a harddrive which accesses files faster than the CD).

Comment

Otherwise, one can try and open the CD drive door and re-insert the CD into the CD drive and then wait several seconds again. Maybe the CD is not quite right in the CD-tray.

Comment

Otherwise, maybe the CD is dirty, or the CD Drive is dirty.
              It is kind of like a glass lens for the laser that reads the CD, and if it is clouded over with dust or dirt or particles of smoke or something else, then maybe it will not work right.

Otherwise, the head could be out of line (the laser) or maybe a new CD is needed.

I did have a new CD that did not read a game disk, but the old one would. Only one CD, but the text that came up was scrambled, the older CD drive read it right.

??
              Not made that good, nowadays!

Comment

hi ,

uninstall , then look for files like infogrames , firaxis , civ , civilization , etc , .... delete those files , reboot , reinstall , get patch , defrag and play , ....

dont forget to turn security programs off , ....

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                X