No announcement yet.

Big War Problem. Need Help. Plzzz Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big War Problem. Need Help. Plzzz Help.

hi I am playing as the English on Regent difficulty. I am at war with the Russians. I am a democracy-first mistake i guess. The problem is that Im losing money every turn with the deficit growing constantly. I have had to push down science funding which Im not happy about. Im on total war mode. My cities are decreasing in population?????? I seriously don't understand how I can suddenly drop from +450 gold a turn to +100 and then -50 in a matter of like 3 turns!!??? And it is still droppping. My military machine is beating the Russians but thats not wot is worrying me! Should I go into a revolution and become a monarchy? Would that help my cities at all? and money problem? The only reason why I changed to Democracy in the first place is cuz thats the best Tech government and I had built the universal suffrage plus heaps of cop shops so I thought I would be cool. But now I don't know. My citizens are like happy but they're like...dying? Does anyone know how to counter this really annoying problem? Is monarchy the best way to go? Plzzz help. Cuz Im like...clueless

You're basically "foobar-ed" making war in a democracy. You can get away with a short one, but you're better off with a republic or monarchy. The reasons for your dropping income, shrinking populations etc is that the unhappiness caused by the war is making your city governers take people out of the fields, mines whatever, and making them into entertainers. You can:
    1.) Turn off the governers, let your people riot
    2.) Change government.
    3.) Increase Luxury spending. (this can actually give you more tax and science, as you will then have more workers and less entertainers.
    4.) Stop the war for a few turns to allow the war wearyness to go away.

But most of all - don't declare war in a democracy unless you can win really quickly. You usually need to capture 3 cities or so to force the AI to discuss peace terms. If you can do that before the unhappiness starts to hurt, then you're getting the idea. The trick is massive troop build-up, followed by a short violent war.

Hope this helps

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

First of all, democracy is not a good government for wars. You'll have a lot of war weariness (which means that your people will be unhappy and prone to revolt). Change your government to Communism. This way you can control the mood of your populace and you gain more military support in your cities (i.e., your cities can support more military units).

If your population is decreasing, then your cities are probably starving. This could mean that your citizens are unhappy because of war and, in order to fight this unhappiness, the computer turned some of your citizens into entertainers, meaning that the cities are not generating enough food to support your population. This is what is probably happening, considering what you said. You could try and post a savegame so we could see what's wrong.

Anyway, change your government now, preferably to Communism.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Grr, War of Art posted first.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Hey thanks dude. That helped alot.
          -Demos

Comment

Ah, its happened before the other way around though Alexnm Perhaps we are both just exploding with good advice

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

With Universal Suffrage and police stations at Regent an ongoing war in democracy shouldn't be that bad. I will regularly go for 30 or 40 turns of war in that situation without a WW problem, more if I am close to finishing off a civ.

Once you get WW I agree there is nothing for it but to change government or make peace. It takes 5 turns at peace to get rid of WW I believe?

I do try to minimise casualties and I keep my troops out of enemy territory as much as possible. Essentially form up units in friendly territory - grab enemy city - heal and reposition troops - repeat.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                First of all, democracy is not a good government for wars.
                That depends alot on whether you start them or not. On a defensive war, I find Democracy can be quite good. I've gone well over 20 turns without any war weariness kicking in. In fact, when the war first starts, I sometimes find cites all over my empire suddenly celebrating WLTKD.

Comment

Working...
                X