editor and terrains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• editor and terrains

How do I make a map in the editor using the watercolor terrain? Or any terrain?

You can't make a map based on an other set of terrain than the one you have installed. If you want to use a certain terrain set for a certain scenario, you need two civ3 installations

Comment

No you don't, you only have to replace the default terrain graphics with the ones for the watercolour. But that will mean all your games will use the watercolour terrain.

Just have a look in Art/Terrain and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

It depends if you have PTW or not. If you have PTW, all you need to do is put Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain; in the Scenario Search Folders field of the Scenario Properties page. You won't see any change unless you save and reload but it works. In normal Civ3, you can't make a scenario (map) use a terrain set.
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Yes, I do have PTW, I should have mentioned that. My problem was that I was trying to load the watercolor terrain through the folder, not realising I had to use the loose '.bix' in the scenarios folder. Thanks for the help, Im making a watercolor map right now.

Comment

Well, I was able to make a nice watercolor map/scenario but when I started the game it was using the default terrain. I saved and reloaded as you suggested but no dice, still the defaults. What am I doing wrong? Im sure its something obvious and I'll smack myself on the forehead.

Comment

Okay, start with a new empty scenario. Add Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain; in the Scenario Search Folders field of the Scenario Properties page. Create your map. Save the scenario (with a new name in the Scenarios folder (don't give in to the dark side and over-write your master scenario)). Start PTW. Choose Load Scenario. Find your scenario from the list and play it.
              Seemingly Benign

Comment

Thats what I did the first time and I tried it again a couple of times just now. Same thing, weird. I can load the scenario just fine in the game but when i try to load the one I made in the editor it uses the default terrain.

Comment

Well, that should work. Post your .bix and I'll look at it.
                  Seemingly Benign

Comment

Ok, this gets weirder and weirder, thanks for your patience. I should probably list all the steps I take so you can get a clearer idea of whats going on:

1. load the watercolor terrain in the PTW editor
                    2. generate a map (so far so good its watercolor)
                    3. load the scenario I just made in PTW and start the game...
                    ...and Im looking at the default terrain.

Once this happens, if I dbl click on the .bix, the editor opens up and...sure enough, its been converted back to the default terrain. Ive included two .bix files. The first one is one that I tried to load in the game and was converted back to the defaults. The second one 'WCT test2', is a pristine watercolor map I generated but did not try to open in the game so its watercoloriness is still intact.
                    Could another terrain I d/led awhile back be causing the prob? I dont remember what its called but it was one that corrected the green so it would be more vibrant and look less like pea soup. Might be a long shot but its the only variable I can think of.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Okay, I opened them in the editor and they are not WC. The trick is to add Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain; in the Scenario Search Folders field of the Scenario Properties page
                      Seemingly Benign

Comment

Great! I finally got it to work, thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                        X