Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large and Small Sea Transports

Hello all,

This is really concerning my WWII project, but it is actually a general Civ3 question if you think about it. Transports in Civ3 can move any land unit in the game. They can also load those units from any coastal square and unload them to any coastal square. While for a simplified game, and for those players who are not as detail anal as me, this is fine. However, for me and primarily my WWII project this doesn't sit well.

I propose two things;

1. In the real world all transports are not the same, especially in the military world. It is extremely hard to amphibiously land tanks and artillery in fighting order under combat situations. There are roll on roll off ships, but they are few and far between. In Civ3 there is a transport that fortunetly looks like a Higgins boat. I would like to make this exactly that. It should only be able to load and land light units (infantry) and very few of them (2 or 3). This would be the all purpose transport that can load and land anywhere.

2. I propose the idea of creating a large freighter type unit that can move any and alot of land units, but only between coastal cities (that would have the port facilities to host them). This would for my scenerio make it a neccesity to capture a port facility in any Normandy situation (see where I'm going with this ). It would also make sea warfare much more dynamic and important, as these slow moving defenseless beats would be easy prey for preditors.

Mechanics

As far as the light transport this is easily done in the editor by reducing capacity. As far as not allowing heavy units in I thought you could just take the "Unload" flag away from those heavy units so that the transport couldn't get rid of them on any tile. It is my understanding (and I could be wrong), that when a transport enters a city all the units are independant, not loaded, so the large transport would still be able to offload these units. Of course the light transport could do this to, making the only use of the large transport its capacity. The only solution I could think of to solve this is to take the "Load" flag from the heavy units as well, which would not let them board the light transport. However, Loading in a city is not the same as unloading and would not let them board the large transport either, so this is a dead end.

Anyone care to speculate on the issue?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Flag the Light Transport for "Transports Only Foot Units" in the unit abilities box
    Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
    If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
    If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

hmmmm, didn't realize that flag existed, that could be helpful
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Would anyone happen to know of a unit graphic for a 1940ish sea freighter?

Comment

Working...
        X