World creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World creation

It seems that my Civ III has a problem making archipelago maps. I have set the game to create a random archipelago world, but the islands always seem to end up rather large. Is this a known problem, am I doing something wrong, and/or is there a setting to be changed to change this?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Several threads have addressed this issue. Try a forum search on the term "archipelago" or "map generator."

IMO the categories (archipelago, continents, etc.) are very general and do not necessarily describe the resulting maps accurately.

A lot depends on the map size and the land:water ratio, but even identical settings will produce a variety of map configurations.

I almost always play on maps set for Large, Archipelago, and the middle water setting. That usually gives several rather bulky, but elongated continents that have a few one-tile-wide isthmuses.

The maximum water setting generally gives you smaller, skinnier landmasses.

My best advice to you would be to open the editor and try generating some maps with various settings. After you see a few dozen maps of a given type you will get the feel for this feature.

Comment

Thanks for your kind help. I really did try to search for these kinds of topics but came up blank (incompetence, I guess).

/o

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Tiberg
        Thanks for your kind help. I really did try to search for these kinds of topics but came up blank (incompetence, I guess).
        No, it just takes persistence and trying different keywords.

BTW, my suggestion about the editor was not so that you could design your own map (although that is a possibility). I was merely to demonstrate the variety of maps you could expect with the various settings.

Comment

Working...
        X