Creating And Adding Resourses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating And Adding Resourses

I need some help. I am pretty familiar with the Civ Editor, and have used it to make changes to the game. But here is where I am running into a problem. Once I have gotten into the Civ Editor, then opened or created an existing map, I can go to the Editing Rules section. Now, from there I go to the Natural Resourses tab.

Here are the two questions I would like to know:
    1. How can I add or subtract the amount of a particular resourse that is entered randomly. I know that I can go directly to the map and add or subtract any resourse on the spot. But suppose I wish to add or subtract randomly? I have tried to selectively add directly to the map, and then go to the map/redistribute natural resourses in the Editor, but note that the increase or decrease is eliminated and onlythe origional resourses were the ones redistributed. I think!

2. How do I add a new resourse to the game? On the natural Resourses tab, there is a place where you can Add an new resourse, but I can't seem to add a new icon to the list on the left. I have gone to Program Files/Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III/Art/Civilopedia/Icons/Resourses. The images are a PCX Image document. So I went and got an Icon, converted it to PCX, and installed it to the Resourses file. It still will not show up when I go back to the Editor and look for a new image in the file. Why not? What am I doing wrong?

Also, does anyone know what the Appearance Ratio and Disappearance Probability are for and do?

Re: Creating And Adding Resourses

Originally posted by John L K

2. How do I add a new resourse to the game? On the natural Resourses tab, there is a place where you can Add an new resourse, but I can't seem to add a new icon to the list on the left. I have gone to Program Files/Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III/Art/Civilopedia/Icons/Resourses. The images are a PCX Image document. So I went and got an Icon, converted it to PCX, and installed it to the Resourses file. It still will not show up when I go back to the Editor and look for a new image in the file. Why not? What am I doing wrong?

Also, does anyone know what the Appearance Ratio and Disappearance Probability are for and do?
    First of all, you're looking for "resources.pcx", which you'll find in the main Art folder, not in Icons. Those are only for the Civilopedia, they do nothing for the game.

Appearance ratio determines how many of a particular resource appears. If the number is 160, it means 1.6 of that particular resource per civ.

Disappearance Probability is the odds of the resource disappearing. So a number of 200 means a 1/200 chance each turn of it being depleted.

Comment

Thanks Willem

That answer makes sense about the ratio of resourses appearing and disappearing.
      Now, about the two numbered questions. Maby someone can answer all of the first one. On the second question, you are right about where the icons appear. I found them in the art folder, and another group of icons. Now, how do I set things so that they can be included in that little frame within the Natural Resourses tab, and have a number to it? Also, I still need to know how to insert an icon of my own doing.

Got any suggestions?

Thanks, John

Comment

Re: Thanks Willem

Now, about the two numbered questions. Maby someone can answer all of the first one.
        I'd try to answer that, but I'm not exactly sure what you're after.

Now, how do I set things so that they can be included in that little frame within the Natural Resourses tab, and have a number to it?
        Again I'm not exactly sure what you mean. There's a button there that allows you to cycle through the icons in the file. Or you can just enter in a number manually.

Also, I still need to know how to insert an icon of my own doing.
        You're going to need a graphics program that will allow you to copy and paste pcx files. Apparently Paint Shop Pro has a demo you can use for a short time period that should work. I'm not sure where you'd find it.

Comment

Let Me Try Again

Ok, if you go to the Natural Resourses tab, you probably will see the Resourse for Horses. because it will say so in the center top box. If you look to the left, you will see the picture of a horse in the little "frame" that I mentioned. Also, at it's immediate right is the Icon box that in numbered at "0". If you scroll up in the Icon box, the pictures to the left will change until the the picture of gold with the number "21" shows up.

Now, to me the real kicker is to find a way to place an icon in the file so I can not only add a natural resourse, but include an icon in the file that will allow it to pop up in the little window.

I already have PhotoImpact and MicroAngelo, so I have the tools. I just don't know the proceedures. That is where I hope you or someone else can help. Please let me know if I need to explain further. I really want to solve this problem!

thanks

thanks

Comment

Re: Let Me Try Again

I already have PhotoImpact and MicroAngelo, so I have the tools. I just don't know the proceedures. That is where I hope you or someone else can help. Please let me know if I need to explain further. I really want to solve this problem!
            It's just a simple copy and paste procedure. First of all though you'll need some pcx art work with a magenta background. Or at least convert it to pcx. Then just select what you want, copy, then paste it into the resources.pcx file.

I'm including the file that I use for my game, which is based on one done by someone called Harlan. He has a full package around somewhere, complete with the civilopedia art. Maybe you'll find something you can use. If not, you'll have lots of boxes to add your own.
            Attached Files

Comment

Other than replacing resources with new ones I'm not sure if you can get them to show up in the city display, other than that there's a how to on adding resourceshere for 1.29F. If anyone finds something wrong with this could you please let me know.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Clay
                Other than replacing resources with new ones I'm not sure if you can get them to show up in the city display, other than that there's a how to on adding resourceshere for 1.29F. If anyone finds something wrong with this could you please let me know.
                Thanks
                Yes they will show up in the city screen, at least the strategic resources. They'll keep scrolling across the top of the screen.

Comment

Sorry, I meant after you've got all the default civ III resources it will scroll off the side.

Comment

Working...
                  X