Finding Harbors of other civs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Harbors of other civs

I am in my first game of Civ3. I wanted to establish sea trade routes to four civs on another continent.
    Either they didn't have harbors in any of their cities or I didn't do the right thing to find them.
    Can anyone tell me how to find harbors?
    Thanks, Ron

You do not need to find their harbours. If a civ has one harbour connected by road to its' capital (or in its' capital)then it can engage in sea trade.

You mentioned these civs were on another continent. You need a tech to trade across seas or oceans . I am not sure which tech it is, either astronomy or navigation IIRC. Try looking up those techs in the civilopaedia (I am at work).

Also it usually takes a long time for the AI civs to get around to building a harbour.

Good luck with your first game.

Comment

Re: Finding Harbors of other civs

Originally posted by RonL
      I am in my first game of Civ3. I wanted to establish sea trade routes to four civs on another continent.
      Either they didn't have harbors in any of their cities or I didn't do the right thing to find them.
      Can anyone tell me how to find harbors?
      Thanks, Ron
      Any coastal town will have a black anchor on white background, if it has a harbor.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

More about sea trade routes

OK, for whatever reason, none of the other cities on the coast for those civs had harbors.
        But, if I take my galley from my capital (or any city with a road to the capital?) and sail it to the city with a harbor I can then try to set up trade with that other civ?
        Thanks, Ron
        Last edited by RonL; January 3, 2003, 13:31.

Comment

When the proper conditions are met (as noted by peterfharris, plus when you could theoretically sail from one of your harbors to any of another civ's harbors) then you will automatically be able to conduct trade. The "make-a-deal" screen will offer the possibilities.

All you have to do is keep exploring until a viable sea route is visible.

Comment

In order to trade overseas both parties must have access to harbours that are connected to their capitals by road. They must also have enough of the map explored to trace a route from one to the other. If the route crosses sea squares one of the traders must have discovered Astronomy. Trans-Oceanic trade requires either Navigation or Magnetism.

Note that you don't actually have to physically send a ship to explore the route if you have traded for maps that show a route.

Hope this helps.
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
            X