MAP: Kal-els 140x140 Earth Accurate Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAP: Kal-els 140x140 Earth Accurate Resources

Kal-els 140x140 Earth Resources v1.0 Readme.

This map is my atttempt at creating an accurate world map of 140x140 proportions. I am hoping that this size map will alleviate the long waits that can be seen on some of the larger maps.

Unlike other maps that used either a Miller’s Projection or even Mercator’s which tend to distort the shapes of the land masses the further towards the poles the land mass is, I used separate projections for each of the continents and then combined each of those projections into one single image. This process helps to alleviate the distortion of land mass shape and ensure that the outlines of the continents remaines as true to life as possible within the limitations of converting a round shape onto a flat surface. The process of combining the multiple projections has a draw back in that is distorts some distances across bodies of water and the areas where the continents meet are also often times distorted. The land to water ratio on this map is not earth accurate. The map is 65% water. In order to preserve the detail level I reduced the size of both the Atlantic and the Pacific. It is however impossible to cross either ocean with a Galley without The Great Lighthouse.

In addition I took some liberties with the comparitive size of the continents. This was done mainly for gameplay purposes. As a result Europe and North America are larger than they are in Real Life. Likewise the Island nations of the United Kingdom and Japan are both larger than one would expect on a completely accurate map. Because of these changes other areas were reduced in size.

To make room for an enlarged Europe which has been stretched just a bit eastward into Asia in order to give those civs some more room and to cut down the Asian Advantage. Africa was also shrunken to accomodate Europe and to reduce the advantage that civs starting on this continent have over other civs due to the vast open expanses.

South America was also reduced in size for mainly the same reasons that Asia and Africa were.

I tried to place the resources as accuraely as possible. For gameplay purposes I limited myself in the total number of Strategic and Luxury resources on this map. Using 12 players as base reference, I then calculated the number of strat resources that should appear based on the standard appearance ratios given in an unmodded Civ3mod.bic file. I was not completely true to these numbers but I did use them as a point of reference. To determine the number of Luxury resources I looked at several randomly generated maps and discovered that the random resource placement tends place a number of Luxury resources totallying 75% of the number of number of civs available, i.e. if 12 civs are playing the total numberof luxury resources will average eight of each luxury resource.

A few quick notes:
    ------------------
    The Faroe Islands are a bit further over to the East than in real life to prevent an easy crossing to North America.

There are mountains in Greenland to prevent mass colonization of that region. I recommend that you set tundra as unsettlable.

Also plains and grassland were interchanged where necessary to create a more accurate coastline.

Some areas of desert were made into plains if a river ran through it in order to pevent the mass food production of the floodplain syndrome.

I hope you enjoy playing on it as much as I enjoyed designing it. If you have any suggestions you can contact me at dickjensen@hotmail.com or through civfanatics.com. This map was created by me, Kal-El, December 2002.

For a Closer look Click Here
    Attached Files
    Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
    or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
    For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Bic File
    Attached Files
    Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
    For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

Bix File
      Attached Files

Comment

Sweet, I've been wanting a good largish map.
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I hope this meets your needs.

Comment

Looks VERY nice --

Just one question: Why do you have the "Northwest Passage" (i.e., the ability to circumnavigate the globe by ship north of Eurasia and North America)?

Best,

Oz
            ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

I suppose that the only way to prevent this would be to have Alaska and Siberia reach all the way up to the top of the map.

That might be interesting to try, but I am not planning on redoing the whole map over that point. From what I have seen nobody else has done this with their earth maps either. i.e. all other earth maps allow a Northern route around the world as well. Some may block it off at Greenland but that is only a minor obstacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-el
                I suppose that the only way to prevent this would be to have Alaska and Siberia reach all the way up to the top of the map.

That might be interesting to try, but I am not planning on redoing the whole map over that point. From what I have seen nobody else has done this with their earth maps either. i.e. all other earth maps allow a Northern route around the world as well. Some may block it off at Greenland but that is only a minor obstacle.
                Reasonable enough

-Oz
                ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

wonderful! finally! i'll play-test it when i find some time
                  looking forward to my first 24-civ-game
                  - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                  - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

The resources were placed with 12 civs in mind. If you intend on using this map with more civs you may want to consider adding in a few more resources.

I recommend your Resource Numbers for a 24 player map to be set at:
                    Horses: 38
                    Iron: 38
                    Saltpeter: 29
                    Coal: 29
                    Oil: 29
                    Rubber: 29
                    Aluminum: 29
                    Uranium: 24
                    Wines: 16
                    Furs: 16
                    Dyes: 16
                    Incense: 16
                    Spices: 16
                    Ivory: 16
                    Silks: 16
                    Gems: 16

Comment

i know, i know...
                      but i've been waiting a long time for a sensible sized world map to play 24 civs, even though europe and the middle east are hopelessly overcrowded it won't be a balanced map, but to be honest: neither is it today. oil and uranium are just found in a few locations on earth... and we can't change the current diplomacy possibilities of civ3 (e.g. only buy 10% of an oil resource, etc. )

Comment

Ok, just thought I would throw that out there. Glad you think the map is Sensible, though I have been accused of being a member of the Silly Party.

Hope you enjoy the map.

Comment

silly party ???

well 'sensible' because it's playable on a P III/450... at 160x160 it's getting very slow and at 180x180 i can forget it even playing more than 50 turns

Comment

silly party???
                            Monty Python reference.

Comment

sabrewolf,

What o/s are you using ? (I pray it's not ME)

I have a W2k PIII/550 w/ 4 MB video card that can handle a huge map with 16 civs and 256 cities without choking, or going much slower than a standard map w/ 8 civs.

You had better do some work on your o/s and hardware like updating drivers and BIOS, etc... I've seen PIV/1.7 G that run like a 486 because the user never once defragged or ran chkdsk on it... just like a car, you have to change the oil once in a while, eh ?

And Kal-el, do you work at the Ministry of Silly Walks too ?

D.
                              "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
                              leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Working...
                              X