Cost of Uogrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Uogrades

How is it that the cost of upgrading warrior to swordsman is usually 40 (e.g. Zulus, Carthagianians I noticed recently) but only 20 for the Spanish. What determines this?

Do the Spanish have a UU that replaces the swordsman?

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Upgrades cost 2GP multiplied by the difference in the shield cost of the units. So upgrading a 10 shield warrior to a 30 shield swordsman is a 20 shield difference and costs 40GP. Leonardo's Workshop halves the cost. Did the Spanish have Leo's?
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The Spanish did not have Leo's (my civ). I am wondering if this is a bug or maybe a hidden advantage of religious civs that we didn't know about. I haven't checked other religious civs. It has nothing to do with their UU which comes much later as alternative cavalry.

Comment

Very strange!

I have not noticed cheaper upgrades with either the Celts or Japanese, my usual civs, so I doubt if it is religious civs that are getting a secret bonus.

IIRC the Spanish are set in the editor never to build wealth? I wonder if this is somehow related?

It would be interesting to know if it applies to other unit upgrades for the Spanish. If so, I can see the Spanish becoming a very popular civ to play.
          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

It apparently is true for ALL upgrades. I just went back and checked: spearman to pikeman (10 gold) and swordsman to Medieval Infantry (10 gold). And I double checked that NO ONE has Leo's yet, but two other civs have it under contruction

Comment

You 're not playing som scenario, are you?

And the Spanish never building wealth was IIRC changed with 1.14.

Alexman is to 'blame' for that
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No scenario, Alva, just plain vanilla, 8 player, small map. Actually, my first SP game with PTW just to try it out.

Comment

I think I have the explanation now. It is because I am on accelerated production. Apparently what this does is cut in half the cost of everything, including techs. There is not more gold produced than normal, so everything must be half price. I have not checked other costs such as maintenance and unit costs, but this is probably how it is done. Can anyone confirm that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Nail
                    I think I have the explanation now. It is because I am on accelerated production. Apparently what this does is cut in half the cost of everything, including techs. There is not more gold produced than normal, so everything must be half price. I have not checked other costs such as maintenance and unit costs, but this is probably how it is done. Can anyone confirm that?
                    Sounds logical to me.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I can confirm that. You can see it in the city screens too. They are more widely spaced. See you tomorrow. Or in fact today
                      Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Working...
                      X