UNITS: Four New Macedonian Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNITS: Four New Macedonian Units

Here are 4 units created for Exsanguination's "Alexander the Great" scenario, and could also be used in a 'random' or normal game of Civ3 by the Greeks.

(Please note that I have not included any instructions on how to add these units to Civ3. This is because I live in Europe, and so do not yet possess a copy of the PTW expansion disk.....and I'm not 100% sure how it's done)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macedonian Phalangite
    -----------------------------

These were the troops who made up the Macedonian 'Phalanx'....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kryten; December 9, 2002, 08:50.

A 'Phalanx' was a formation of densely packed spearmen or pikemen.

The Greek Phalnax was made up of Hoplites armed with spears, while the Macedonian Phalanx consisted of Phalangites, each armed with a long two-handed pike up to three times a man's height in length.
    (Calling a single figure a 'Phalanx' is like calling a single person a 'crowd', or calling a single cow a 'herd'!)

Suggested stats for the Macdedonian Phalangite:
    3-3-1, costs 40, requires iron, becomes available with Monarchy, and also has the 'wheeled' ability (this means that they cannot enter mountains & jungle, and reflects the fact that they avoided terrain that would disorder them and render their formation useless. Therefore Legionaries, who can enter these terrains and are cheeper, are slightly superior).
    Hoplites should be able to upgrade to Phanagites, representing the Macedonian dominance of Greece.
    Attached Files

Comment

The Macedonian Guards unit, the Hypaspist....

When Alexander the Great became king of Macedon in 336 BC following the assassination of Philip II, he also inherited his father's army. The guards unit of this army was the Hypaspists (or "shield-bearers") and was an elite body of three 1,000 man units, the head unit being called the Agema (or "bodyguard"). Unlike the Macedonian Phalanxes, the Hypaspists was not formed from regional areas, but was instead a corps consisting of the very best soldiers from each phalanx. Later the Hypaspists were called Argyraspids (or "silver shields") following the new equipment they adopted during the Indian campaign. There is still much debate amongst historians about how these troops were equipped. Some scholars think that they were armed the same as the rest of the phalanx with a long two-handed pike, while others think that they were lighter armed, and used more like Hellenistic Peltasts. Certainly they were used in the latter role by both Philip and Alexander, and are always mentioned whenever Alexander needed fast light troops for his many rapid flank marches. Also, Philip's feigned retreat at the battle of Chaeronea could not have been carried out by a slow ponderous phalanx, and much later when Macedon came in conflict with the Republic of Rome the Hypaspists seemed to have been brigaded with the Peltasts. Hypaspists disappear from history following the Roman conquest of Greece and Macedon in 168 BC.
      Attached Files

Comment

Suggested stats for the Macedonian Hypaspist:
        2-2-2, costs 50, +1 hit point, requires iron, becomes avaiable with Monarchy, and with PTW this unit only pays one move point in all terrain types. I would also suggest giving this unit the 'blitz' ability, which I think fits quite well with it's elite status.
        Greek Peltasts (a unit I created some time ago, with stats of 2-2-2 and a defensive javelin bombarment of 2), should upgrade to Hypaspists. Again, this reflects the Macedonian domination of Greece.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the elite unit of the Hypaspists, the 'Old Guard' of the Macedonian army....the Agema.
          Attached Files

Comment

This animation is just the Macedonian Hypaspist with a white linen cuirass instead of a brown leather 'spolas', and was the elite of the guardsmen....the very best of the best.

Please see the Hypaspist for a Civilopeadia discription of this unit.
            Attached Files

Comment

Persian Galley
              -----------------

This is just the Civ3 Galley with the sails furled.
              Please note that this unit attacks forwards, NOT sideways, and so simulates the ramming attack used by all ancient warships.
              Attached Files

Comment

....and although it's not really Macedonian, you could always change the name....
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Kryten; December 9, 2002, 08:48.

Comment

….and here is a cut down units_32 file which only contains the above units.
                  You can cut & paste this on to your existing units_32 file, or, if you are unable to do this, then may I suggest downloading the units_32 file created by Zulu9812 (which contains over 600 player created unit icons!).
                  This can be found here…..

Here we go: new thread for the PTW-compatible icon sheet. Hot damn, this file's so big I'm having to upload it now! Zulu Mega units_32 v1.8.zip EDIT: Unit icon list now included in zip file, since the post would now exceed the 15000 character limit
                  Attached Files

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, Alexander and the Macedonians were NOT Greeks. They had their own Macedonian language and culture.

Nonetheless, after the Macedonians took over political control of Greece in the late 4th century BC, and dragged the Greeks along with them in their conquest of the east, they absorbed so much Greek culture that only a few generations after Alexander the Great they effectively became Greeks.

This has happend several times in history, such as in England which the French Norman Knights conquered in 1066 AD, but after several hundred years they were 'absorbed' or 'became' English. And when the Mongols conquered China; after several generations, they 'became' Chinese.

(More Macedonians units under construction --> Companion Horsemen with stats of 3-1-2, and the Agrianian light infantry skirmishing javelinmen....... )

Comment

These are going to Fthe iles forum. feel free to submit them to the directory.
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

These look very nice, I really like the galley. Can you post an attack animation of the galley?

Comment

Working...
                        X