X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me!

When I launch the game I can see the intro movie and sound, but after that
    my screen just turns black, but I still hear the sound. I changed my video
    resolution to 1024 X 798, updated my drives and try everything possible.

My computer is a Compaq Presario 5WB-143 with a Pentium III 650mHz, 128Mb
    Ram, primary: video card NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64Mb, but still have the on-board
    original video card.

Thanks for your time

Civ 3 may be using a higher refresh rate than you monitor can handle. I've had the same problems myself. Try patching. Or making some changes in Civ 3.ini as described in the Infogrames help files:

"Civilization III Runs at the resolution of 1024 x 768 in 16 bit color. If your video card/monitor does not support this resolution you will not be able to run this game on your computer. If your monitor does support 1024x768, then you may need to install the patch mentioned above.

Once you have installed the patch for this game, you will be able to manually reset the game's refresh rate, which should solve this problem. To do this, first apply the patch, then open the file named, "Civilization3.ini" and add the phrase "refresh=60" (without the quotes) on a new line in this file."

Comment

my guess would be that your monitor does not support that resolution.
      I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

The opening movie is in 640 x 480 screen mode. Then the game starts in the regular mode of 1024 x 768.

Like said, I would see if your monitor handles the resolution required by the game.
        It can not be lower than 1024 x 768 for the game.

Comment

is there a way to make take the resolution higher? I just got a new monitor and would like to see more of the map.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgar Newt
            is there a way to make take the resolution higher? I just got a new monitor and would like to see more of the map.

Thanks.
            Yes. Add the line KeepRes=1 in the Civ3 or PTW ini file. You'll find it in the main folder, after you've launched the game the first time.

Comment

Yes, and VideoMode=1600 or something like that. Read the Readme.txt file included for the game.

The main map will be in the resolution, with KeepRes=1 (your desktop resolution currently) or the VideoMode whatever it is line in the Civ3.Ini file or the ptw.ini file.

Comment

Add the Refresh=60 line also, as higher modes may need a different Vertical refresh rate for the modes.

Usually in 1280 x 960, I run Refresh=85 or even 75, but in 1600 x 1200, due to the monitor, I have to have the Refresh=60 line. Windows 2000 Professional is that way, not usually a home edition of an operating system which is usually more suited to playing games.

I have to do that manually, but Windows OS may screw up sometimes, so that line may help out Windows to know the Refresh rate. Or try Optimal in the Settings of the Properties Page of the Screen graphic card settings.
                Right click on the Desktop, and choose Properties, then get somewhere with a command button on the Advanced settings to set your graphic card, usually driven by the graphics drivers for your graphics card.

Sometimes, things are not automatic with an operating system, especially with games.

Comment

Working...
                X