Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black screen

After longer time I returned to civ3.
    And just after starting video I getting black sreen.
    I can hear music and sound like selecting, ...
    But I cannot see anythig and only way to stop it is hard restart.
    I'm using win XP, athlon XP 1600, MSI G4 420
    I read some problems with fonts, but answers not helped me.

Got any Idea?

osim

Have you tried updating your drivers? I had the same problem when I first installed Win XP, and that solved it. There's a tread way, way back that deals with this problem in a different way, if you want to dig around the archives for awhile.

Comment

OK, I will try it once more time.
      I'm thinking about returning to win98.

I didn't found anything in archive, just in civfanatics
      I installed Civilization 3 yesterday. I upgraded to the most recent patch before running it. When I did run it, I got nothing but a black screen. I could hear the intro music, but could not see anything. I got some help from the guys in the chat and added Refresh=60 to my civilization3.ini file...

link

But there is no solution.

Thanks for answer

Comment

Civ 3 might have a higher refresh rate that you monitor can handle... check out infogrmes technical support on how to handle this.

Comment

CHECK THIS OUT:

Comment

Add the following lines to your Civilization3.ini and ptw.ini files:

Keepres=1
            Video Mode=1024
            Refresh=60
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
            Odysseus and the March of Time
            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by osim

I'm thinking about returning to win98.
              No, no you don't want to do that! That would be like making out with a two bit hooker after having a date with Jolene Blalock!

Comment

Well, I assume you have a GeForce type card, and I think that most drivers are the same.

But check Nvidia for new drivers for your system. Get updates (patches) to all the games - Civ III and PTW.

Try, finding out your refresh rate you are now using in Windows.
                Usually, the monitor adjustment buttons (mine is picture and brightness) will give you the value for the Vertical refresh rate. V: 85Hz is mine.

Put that in the Civ3.Ini and ptw.ini files by using the lines above.

Refresh=85, and if not sure start out at 60Hz refresh rate.
                Refresh=60.
                The first time you start either game, they will default to 1024 x 768 mode and write the two files.
                After that, you can edit them, and in ptw one does not even have to have the opening movie play by adding the line to the ptw.ini file:
                PlayIntro=0 or if you want to play it by changing the value to 1.

KeepRes will keep your current desktop resolution the next time (after the first time) you start either game, or you can add the VideoMode= whatever Resolution you want the game to run in like: 1024, 1280, 1600, but not lower.
                Must have game to run in 1024 x 768 mode at least or higher.

Comment

Also in Civ III, there are two bink32.dll files for the movie and sound. The one for Windows 2000 and probably Windows XP is in a folder on the CD. Copy it over the one in the main folder for Civ III on your harddrive. Even with Windows 98, I had to use the bink32.dll file for Windows 2000, due to upgrades from Microsoft to IE, changing Explorer and other things in the OS. PTW also has another new bink32.dll type file, for that game. That file is needed for the movement and sound in the game, and the opening movie.
                  The other one that Civ III defaults too, lock up my computer when using Windows 98SE. That changing of that bink32.dll file made everything work, then.

Comment

Thanks for all advices.

I didn't have enough time to try it. I'm waiting for weekend.
                    I have realy old monitor, so there can be a problem.

o.

Comment

If it's a really old monitor, there's a good possibility that it can't support the resolution needed. They used to be rather limited.

Comment

It works ))

After instaling new Nvidia drivesrs 41.09 is possible to set refresh rate to each resolution.
                        I also added
                        VideoMode=1024
                        Refresh=60
                        to ini file.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                        X