Error Reading Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Reading Problem

I've added a unit to Civ3:PTW - an adjusted/expensive 'engineer'. But as my cities are finishing their production, and I choose to produce this new unit, the game crashes when I access the city view with the following error:

Error Reading File
    Missing Entry in "text\pedialcons.txt":Animname

I'm sure I've just done an incomplete job of creating a new unit... I'm a beginning at this stuff...

I'd appreciate any help - or even a tutorial on how to create/add new units.

Thanks,
    ~noemail4me

To make a new unit in PTW you have to add two entries to PediaIcons.txt, one for the civilopedia and one for the ANIMNAME. For example, for an Engineer unit you would have add this..

#ICON_PRTO_Engineer
    art\civilopedia\icons\units\engineerlarge.pcx
    art\civilopedia\icons\units\engineersmall.pcx

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Engineer
    Engineer

I think the bit about the icons isn't essential, but I know you do have to add the '#ANIMNAME_PRTO_unitname' bit
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Still error-ed

I appreciate the help, but...

I've added the suggested lines to the suggested files... I'm still having the error message.

Do I need to begin a new game for the changes to take effect?

I'll keep trying!

Thanks,
      ~kyle

Comment

You probably do need to begin a new game.
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

GOT IT

I did need to start a new game, but there was one more thing. I did some surfing and found in another thread...

On the part of the editor where I add the new unit, and customize its features, there's a 'box' where you tell the program what civliopedia PRTO to look for. I hadn't noticed this until I read someone else's 'walk thru' for adding units.

Found it, filled it in, restarted - and BINGO we're all happy campers.

Thanks for your help and for those who host this forum!

~kyleman

Comment

Working...
          X