Help!!! No data3.cab!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! No data3.cab!!

I'll try and make this real short. When i attempt to install the game on minimum it installs just fine however, when I attempt to install the game with the Typical option it stops at 3% and tells me that the file Data3.cab is missing or invalid, whats goin on?

I have tried installing on multiple PC's and with 2 different discs.

Re: Help!!! No data3.cab!!

Originally posted by Darkhorse27
    I'll try and make this real short. When i attempt to install the game on minimum it installs just fine however, when I attempt to install the game with the Typical option it stops at 3% and tells me that the file Data3.cab is missing or invalid, whats goin on?

I have tried installing on multiple PC's and with 2 different discs.
    I got this error message when installing from a backup copy of the original installation CD. It has something to do with the copy protection, I believe... are you sure you are using the original CD to install the game?

But it may be something else, as I believe I was completely unable to install the game... none of the install types worked for me, so if Minimum works for you, you may have a different problem...

Comment

I have the same problem, I have uninstalled the game, I am now attempting to re install, on the typical option (I havent tried the minimum option). I have created a data3.cab file on my hard drive by copying data1 and renaming it, unfortunately it then asks for data4, data5 and so on!! My disk is entirely genuine, HELP!!!!
      A citizen of the first Civ 3 democracy game
      A member of the Apolytonia War Academy

Comment

data2!

at least you het to see data3.cab... mine stops on data2.cab! what gives?

Comment

Re: data2!

Originally posted by eden5900
          at least you het to see data3.cab... mine stops on data2.cab! what gives?
          Well, the problem is that there is NO data3.cab on the install CD... so whenever the install program asks for one, you are doomed.

Comment

solution

I have e-mailed UK infogrames and have recieved a promt reply, I havent tried it yet, but it sounds good and I do have the folder, this is the reply I got:
            Hi,

"The game cannot be un-installed and will not re-install correctly"

Have you still got this {0AD84416-63A4-4CF3-BDDF-8FA866711FB0} in the c:\program files\InstallShield Installation folder? (Make sure you have "View all files" checked in the Options for that Window. Usually this done through the View or edit option but if you are unsure consult your Windows help files)

If you still have reference listed in the folder please delete it, restart your computer and try installing the game again.

Erik Young

UK Infogrames Helpline

Comment

If you dont have data2, then there is somthing wrong, because it is a rather important file, which is around 315MB in size!!

Comment

i had this problem just now while installing PTW.. when it bogged down and the cdrom started spinning real fast i just wacked it (which slowed down the drive) and it would then get past that point
                I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

There are 2 things I would possibly try with this. First, if you are on a machine that you, or someone you know, built (as opposed to Dell, Gateway, etc.) and your system has multiple sticks of ram, try removing all but one stick of ram, then try the install. Some motherboards seem to have problems decompressing large data blocks over multiple ram sticks, and reducing it to one may decrease the speed a bit, but could get it working.

Second, if you are in W98 or WME, open you System Properties->Performance->File System->CD-Rom tab and try changing your cache size and read ahead spead to the lowest settings they can be, then try reinstalling. This will make it go REALLY slow, but if it works, just switch it back to normal.

In WXP you can do something similar by temporarily changing the transfer mode of your IDE Channel (Cd-Roms are normally Secondary Master, but this will change based on how your system is set up.) Go to the Device Manager-> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller -> Secondary IDE Channel and change the transfer mode from DMA to PIO. ****ALSO***, if your controller says Intel 82801, then you are going to want to get the "Application Accelerator" from intel.com, OR if it says VIA ...controller, then you will want to get the VIA 4-n-1 controller from www.viaarena.com.

Hope this helps...

Comment

I have just borrowed another CD, I believe there was somthing wrong with my CD (I don't tend to keep my CD's in pristine condition )!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X