Unit making/pallette conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit making/pallette conversion?

Making a 3d model to use as a unit is one thing, but rendering it and then inserting it into a flic in a usable way is another.

My question follows along these lines.

I can make a unit/model, render it into a series of images to represent an action, open up my images in a paint program and then impose these images over the bitmaps taken out of the flic, but how can I do this and keep the palette sound. Maybe I'm not explaining very well, but if anyone has any idea on how to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

The bitmap you are pasting to is of lower amount of colors than the one u're pasting from. Haven't found a decent fix except for choosing colors in 3d editor VERY carefully.

Comment

I have been mass producing units, so they are not of the highest quality, but even so, rememeber, all together they are probably only 700-800 pixels... very small.

top two rows of the palette keep clear for team colors

Last four rows are shadowing and alpha blend.

Make sure any colors in these six rows do not match any colors in the center rows.

If you unit is mostly brown, I prefer the elephant palette. Mostly Grey, I like the battleship palette, Mostly green, I think the bomber palette works well, if not use a unit's palette that has a lot of green in it...

God, I have been up for over 30 hours..... bedtime, hope this helped I am going to bed.
      Pentagenesis for Civ III
      Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

The units that I make are from a 3d modeling program. Specifically, 3dsmax. I know of no way to use a color table/pallette in it; of stating a pallette/color table to use when rendering an object. Whenever I render an object, the color table is a mish-mash; I see no way to specify where the colors are being put in the color table.

Any answers Civ-fans?

(Just saw the Ring; pretty good movie- scared the crap out of me a few times)

Comment

I render, then cut and paste to the Storyboard.pcx using paint shop pro, with match nearest color set.
          Pentagenesis for Civ III
          Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
          Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Igniteous
            The units that I make are from a 3d modeling program. Specifically, 3dsmax. I know of no way to use a color table/pallette in it; of stating a pallette/color table to use when rendering an object. Whenever I render an object, the color table is a mish-mash; I see no way to specify where the colors are being put in the color table.

See if you can DL a demo of DeBabelizer by Equilibrium. It's the only app that I've found that deals effectively with palette matching/conversion.
            'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
            For thou art crunchy
            And go well with ketchup.'

Comment

Working...
            X