X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious crash

It happens always different, somewhere when I'v in early modern times:
    (patch 2.9)

CIVILIZATION3 caused a failure with an invalide page in modul CIVILIZATION3.EXE bei 0187:00469bd3.
    Register:
    EAX=00000002 CS=0187 EIP=00469bd3 EFLGS=00010297
    EBX=00000000 SS=018f ESP=00adf828 EBP=00000000
    ECX=07d61310 DS=018f ESI=07d6130c FS=4be7
    EDX=00000040 ES=018f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
    Bytes bei CS:EIP:
    89 45 44 8b 15 ac 4c 5f 00 8b 44 17 68 85 c0 0f
    Stapelwerte:
    00000010 07d6130c 000000dd 00000002 00000010 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000002 0046a7f4 07d6130c 00000010 00000000 ffffffff 00000010
    http://AlphaCentauri.US/ in English and German
    http://civ3.2be.cc/
    http://1steuro.net/

We want INFORMATION.

System specs.

Include as much as you can.

Such as

Operating system
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Video card
    Sound card
    Harddrives at least the space on them
    Memory - how much RAM

A save game file from just before the crash would be good.

Are you using a mod? If so then don't bother with the save. The mod is the most likely cause.

What you can do right now though is:

Uninstall Civ III
    Deleted the Civ III folder - you may want to copy your high score file and the save game folder first.
    Run Scandisk
    Run defrag - this may take a long time so run it overnight if you haven't run it recently. It runs faster if you have a lot of space left on the drive so you might want to remove any garbage files first.

Reinstall Civ III - You may want to clean the CD first. Be careful doing so.

Redownload the patch and then reinstall it. Its possible you have a corrupted patch thats why you should redownload it.

Of course you could just need to udate your drivers which why you should post a lot more information. No one can really tell much from what you posted. All it says is that Civ III try to access an area of memory it wasn't supposed and a lot things can cause that including buggy mods.

It looks like you have a non-english version of windows. So the question arises from that is, do you have the English language version of Civ III? I think that is the only language that is supported by the 1.29f patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
      We want INFORMATION.
      ok, shall I post it all and upload the sav here?

btw. it's the US Civ II version and the problem happens with and without a mod/scenario that I made for patch 1.19 (based on marla's terra map, I not yet tried it with the original map), BUT I already made some working games with this and patch 1.29, and no crash happened (and this is what me makes confuse. It had worked fine).

Now I only changed the player's faction (from German to American) and excluded the space race victory as possible victory, and it crashes. My first bit is, it's just when the cultural (or dominance) victory screen should come. (The working games I had played as German faction and with space racing, and I see no action/activity in the turns before the crash if I compare the crashed games. There is nothing what looks like "here, when this constellation is, then it crashes". It is happens after moving the AI and automatic unts and after pop up the city screen with the messages, just when normal the moment comes where the game switches to the first unit that is to move.)

I de- and reinstalled it several times, also used the original bic, but also this map (imported map and start locations only), all other original patch 2.19

The crash is never at same time/point, sometimes short before reaching the modern times research, sometimes later, after already researched several modern times subjects. (I now test it for one week, maybe 7 or 8 games (it needs so long to play every test new until reaching that situation.)

Nevertheless, if I should post here all details (it will be a lot) and upload the respective files, pls tell.
      Last edited by Dreifels; October 11, 2002, 16:28.
      http://AlphaCentauri.US/ in English and German
      http://civ3.2be.cc/
      http://1steuro.net/

Comment

I am confused by that. You switch back and forth in that post between modded, unmodded, and different patch versions. Stick to the present situation as that is where the crash is happening.

Post your specs. Its not a lot of information but its needed to tell if you have a technical problem with your PC that is causing the crash.

Don't bother posting a modded game unless it something very basic like 12 civs on a standard map.
        Sometimes even a simple name change can crash the game because the game will use that name to try to find the needed files. Do post a save from just before the crash of an unmodded game. There is no sense in anyone trying to deal with the added problems of a mod if you are having problems with an unmodded game.

Zip the file especially if its an autosave as those are not compressed. The manual saves are compressed. This assuming that you are using the latest patch, 1.29f.

Nevertheless, if I should post here all details (it will be a lot) and upload the respective files, pls tell.
        I did tell.

The details of your system specs should not be a lot. A dozen lines at the most. The files should be exactly one. If its a mod that is breaking and the game works fine with unmodded games then you should try asking for help in the Creation forum as that is where people help each other with mods. However if this all because of a mod it could (you post is confusing on this) be because you are using a mod that was created with a previous editor. Some of the simple mods from before will still work with 1.29f. Some will require reworking them in the new editor and will crash if you don't.

I really was not able to tell from your post just what you were trying to say. Writing in english can be ambiguous even for native speakers. If you can make it more clear in your mind and stick to the specific facts of the game that is crashing it will make it easier to be clear in your post.

Maybe your post will be more clear to someone other than me.

Comment

Probably not a big enough swap file for Virtual Memory, or enough memory in your computer either.

Civ III is a large computer game, especially on such a big map. Lots of memory and lots of swap disk space.

If Windows only as 100MB left on the hard disk, it will bomb also.

Stick to one version of the game, and the same bic file.

Your typing errors, tend to make your post hard to read.

Comment

Working...
          X