Illegal Operation/inavlid fault etc game crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Operation/inavlid fault etc game crash

The year is 14xx AD and after the move of the neighboring countries, when the game is about to begin my turn, the game suddenly prompt me with illegal operation error and I am forced to close the game and return to the desktop.

Here is the detail, I have conquered more than 1/3 of the land and my units are close to 1000(modern armor). Yes I am using a trainer and I usually build my structures through hurry production with money.

I dont know if I have too much units, too much cities, or too much wealthy or others that caused the crash.

I am using the latest patch and windows XP, though i dont think the problem has anything to do with the system.

Since the file is 800KB, I have uploaded the game save file into another server. I would appreciate if you can try to go through the next turn without any crash/prob and also to see if there are any conflicts.

For one zip the file. Then you can probably post it here.

Trainer. What one? Who cares anyway? Play the game for real. Its not at all difficult on Chieftan unless you keep thinking you are playing Civ II.

Look quite messing around with garbage like trainers. Depending on how it works you could mess up the game. They are for learning not playing and the tutorial mode is more than adequate for learning.

Uninstall the game just in case you messed it up. Reinstall the game. Install the 1.29f patch. Play the tutorial. Use your workers wisely. Make sure you have enough workers. Build settlers as soon as you can. The AI will not stand a chance on Chieftan if you do those things. There is no need for trainers.

THEN if you have problems ask and people can help you. You will be playing the same game so the experience of others will be valid. If you play mods TELL people. There are a number of people around here that ask for help and don't say the game was modded and mods often are the cause of the problems.

Comment

I played the game w/o using trainers and it was not chieftain. Unfortunately it took too long, and the pacing was too slow. So after finishing the game, I tried to play the game using the trainer and the difficulty level was deity. I know using the trainer will have me criticized, but i am not asking how to play the game but what might have caused the crash, specifically which part/element in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wo|f
        I played the game w/o using trainers and it was not chieftain. Unfortunately it took too long, and the pacing was too slow. So after finishing the game, I tried to play the game using the trainer and the difficulty level was deity. I know using the trainer will have me criticized, but i am not asking how to play the game but what might have caused the crash, specifically which part/element in the game.
        The trainer is a likely candidate.
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Wo|f
          I played the game w/o using trainers and it was not chieftain. Unfortunately it took too long, and the pacing was too slow.
          Then you are likely to find the game slow in general for you. Sorry about that. The AI is a bit slow at chieftan due to the handicaps and the tutorial is at chieftan.

So after finishing the game, I tried to play the game using the trainer and the difficulty level was deity. I know using the trainer will have me criticized, but i am not asking how to play the game but what might have caused the crash, specifically which part/element in the game.
          That is a rather large jump in difficulty. As I said the trainer is likely culprit but no one can tell you what the cause was when you use one. That is why I was recommending that you don't.

I do recommend that you try the game on Regent level. Standard map size or smaller since you found the game slow. From what you said in your first post you must have been playing on a huge map which is simply demanding a slow game.

Regent is the level where there is no handicap either way. Neither you nor the AI gets a discount on anything so its the fairest level. Most players eventually move up to Monarch because the AI really needs help to do well. However Emperor is quite a challenge for most players including those that played Deity with Civ II. I haven't tried Deity yet myself. I won two of four on Emperor as a builder and I can tell you it was quite difficult to win.

Its possible that you simply had too many units running around. OR you haven't patched the game yet. I think it likely that you have not patched the game since you only played once before the problem.

IF you are playing on a huge map

AND you have not patched the game

THEN you are likely to have a crash

So do try my original advice. Uninstall reinstall PATCH. Especially if you insist on playing on a huge map. That is nearly guaranteed to crash without the patch if you go for either a domination or conquest win.

Get the patch here:

At least if you have the PC English language version of the game. If you don't then Infogrames has shafted you since they are doing a poor job of localizing the patches. Localization is not Firaxis's job. Macs are also getting the shaft.

Comment

Can anyone try the game save file in their game and see if it will also give the same error? Maybe there is a conflict in the system/driver.

Comment

Can you try giving more information? Like your specs.

Comment

P4 2ghz
                1GB ram
                Asus GeForce4
                SB Audigy
                WinXP

Comment

34 settlers
                  678 workers
                  4 expolers
                  5 horsemen
                  31 longbow
                  1 rifleman
                  9 cavalry
                  127 mech infantry

1214 modern armour, I think, formting only supports three columns of numbers and the "4" overlays the "M" of Modern Armour.

6 catapults
                  3 cannon
                  29 artillery
                  94 radar artillery
                  1 tac nuke
                  18 ICBM
                  1 caravel
                  17 transports
                  35 carriers

323 battleships and the formating is busted here as well with the parenthesis overlaying the B of battle ship

3 AEGIS Cruisers
                  1 nuclear sub
                  3 helicopters
                  133 stealth bomber busted format parenthesis
                  29 army

I have no idea how many capured workers. Seems like a horde that might equal the native workers. Just a few clicks on the scroll button crashes the game.

Tech future tech 83
                  income 4141 not spending anything on science though.
                  However he is spending 100% on entertainment

371 from taxmen

expenses 3113 maintenance

UNIT COSTS 1830 meaning that Wolf alone has 1830 units not counting captured workers which must be at least another 100 and could easily be several hundred. Trying to figure it out crashes the game. Big surprise. The total number of units in the game must way exceed 2000 considering that the Japanese alone have over 200 units.

Culture is 207226 which is undoubtedly a culture win.

Ahh just noticed his total units which is way more than the paid for units. Forgot to take the government, Monarchy, into account.

TOTAL UNITS FOR WOLF

Which still doesn't count the hordes of captured workers.

So the game has well over 3000 units. Far more than the game designers could reasonably be expected to test for. I don't call this a bug. I call this the result of greed.

Trainers are for learning the game. Thats why they are called trainers and not cheats.

Try not to break the game with cheating and then ask for help allright? I don't care if you feel the need to use a cheat utility. Its your game and if you find a walkover fun have at it. Just don't ask for help. I have never heard of anyone having so many units before, not even close. The game broke because you broke it.

Comment

Thnx for the analysis.

Comment

wow, i thought i was excessive with 300 modern armors :P

a blitzkrieg must take forever
                      I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

oh, and i have to agree with Ethelred.. there is a good chance you are pushing the game a little past its limits
                        I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

You need a supercomputer and should apply to the Feds for a research grant to play the game on a supercomputer. Your computer is too small.

I don't think its Civ III, its usually the computer and the OS -- especially Windows. CivII allowed maniacs to include as many units as they wanted, until they needed a supercomputer to continue the game back then also.

Comment

Working...
                          X