Stupid question: How do you add new units etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question: How do you add new units etc

Ok, just downloaded the 1.29 patch and tried adding new units and advances via the 'Add' button. It seems to work ok, but when I am in the game it crashes saying it cannot find some file (can't remember the name).

Also is there maybe a step by step guide to adding new units?

To add units you need to make a folder in the ..\Civilizations III\Art\Units folder, with the name of the unit and in it must be a INI file with the same name (the unit, the folder, and the INI must have the same name).

If you download a unit, copy the name on the INI and paste it as the name of the folder and unit, you will also have to add The Units_32.pcx for the unit into the Units_32.pcx in the ..\Civilizations III\Art\Units folder or download the one by zulu in the files forum.

If you are copying a unit to change the graphics, copy the entire folder and change the name of the unit, the folder, and the INI.

If you want to copy a unit without changing the graphics or change the name in game, create the new folder and copy the INI in to it, rename the INI and edit so the paths in it are like this: ..\*UnitName\*UnitAnimation.flc using the name of the old unit (the old unit's folder must exsist).

If you need anything else just ask.
    There are step by step guides and more units at CivFanatics.
    Last edited by Level; September 24, 2002, 13:55.
    Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
    in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
    3D Unit tutorial
    My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

Originally posted by: Level
      If you want to copy a unit without changing the graphics or change the name in game, create the new folder and copy the INI in to it, rename the INI and edit so the paths in it are like this: ..\*UnitName\*UnitAnimation.flc using the name of the old unit (the old unit's folder must exsist).
      Could you elaborate on that or be a little more specific as to the file path? I have tried to do this many times with no success.

What I have been doing is this: Lets say I wanted to make another type of tank unit using the Panzer. I make a “new unit” folder and copy the Panzer.ini file to the folder, renaming it “new unit.ini.” I then go into the ini file to change the paths. I have tried \Panzer\Panzer.ini in addition to the full path (C:\Program Files\etc.) The game crashes on unit completion. Restore the ini to the original, add the graphic and sound files to the folder and it works flawlessly. What am I missing?

Comment

The easiest way to add new units is to get the Civ3MultiTool over in Files, then copy an exisiting unit. It will create all the folders etc. that you need, and also add the unit to the Bic file. After that you just change the parameters in the editor, and change the paths in the .ini file, after you add the new graphics to the folder.

All in all, it will save you some work, and alot of hassle.

Comment

You need the ".." so just paste this "..\Panzer\" before the name of each FLC/WAV
          Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
          in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
          3D Unit tutorial
          My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

You need the ".."
            Thank you, that's what I've been missing.

Comment

Working...
            X