Discussion: Land Mines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion: Land Mines

I seperated this thread from the one about the graphic, because, well, i FOUND a grapic , thanks civfan.

anyway, I'd like to discuss landmines. I've been messing with them, and apparently the "cruise missle" ability is purely offensive. the mines survive, and i've actually had one PROMOTED.

i gave the 1 hp, and a defense of 4. i've been testing them at the beginning of the game, so i assumed warriors would be attacking (and they do). on a mountain, the defense was increased and the mine won without dying, and got a promotion.

now, the only thing that could be said about this is that the mines are automatically "re-laid" if the enemy is pushed back, and the more that an enemy tries to get to a tile, the heavier they lay the mines (promotions), but i'd really like the mine to die after being attacked.

i also gave them the invisble tag, and hidden nationality. will be fun in MP.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Finish your Battle Of Britain scenario!

on topic, has anyone tried making land mines immobile/airdrop 8/cruise missile - that way, they can't move and will be destroyed after every attack.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Uber said that the cruise missile thing didn't work.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

the cruise missle works if only if the unit ATTACKS. for some reason units with the cruise missle ability defending stay alive.

and again, i'll finish my Britian scenario when the german planes can reach the UK.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Rats! There goes my hope of making a real good Cold War Scenario. Maybe in PTW they will have fixed this problems, but not likely. We will have to complain to Firaxis to create a unit ability that causes a unit to die after combat.
          2nd Minister of the Economy in the 1st Apolytonia Civ 3 Democracy Game.
          Founder and editor of the Berserker Bugle

Comment

when were land mines first used in combat?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
              the cruise missle works if only if the unit ATTACKS. for some reason units with the cruise missle ability defending stay alive.

and again, i'll finish my Britian scenario when the german planes can reach the UK.
              What if you gave it high attack and ZOC? It would only attack enemy units then but maybe it would blow up?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                when were land mines first used in combat?
                I know they were used in the American Civil War, but I'm not sure if they were used before that.
                Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

Ok this is all good and everything but are you thinking of implementing mines into a mod or a scenario.

Cause if its a mod and you can build them (or whatever weird way there is to do this) as the editor is crap. What about balancing issues, how will you detect mines and/or get rid of enemy mines. You could mine your whole continent in mines or even just around some cities and the AI would always get slaughtered. How would the AI know how to even use mines let alone detect them.

If its just for 1 scenario i think that is ok as it could be made balanced. However it would be good if u could put them in standard game however the idea is riddled with problems as ive said above.

If you have a solution to all these problems ill be a happy person but i know no one does (other than just not implement the things into a mod) and just a scenario or two where there allready placed on the map
                  Oxygen should be considered a drug
                  Tiberian Sun Retro
                  My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
                  http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

why not try a mine as an artillery weapon....
                    paradrop, invisible, movement of zero, range of zero, defense of 1, and AI flag=defend?

Seeing how minefields are uselss realistically if the enemy can take their time to sidestep them. The defense of 1 assures destruction when attacked, but a minefield with infantry behind it could be a good defense.... and it is quite possible the AI will use it correctly, seeing how they only know how to use artillery one way. Also, a pair of mines could be dangerous, and a stack of ten cheap mines could cause alot of damage to any invading army.

With this a lone minefield would be pretty much useless, but they always are anyways. It's when they start getting laid in numbers all over the place that they start to cause problems.
                    Pentagenesis for Civ III
                    Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                    Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=

I know they were used in the American Civil War, but I'm not sure if they were used before that.
                      Mines WERE used in the Civil War but they were large devices that were used to blow up fortifications. I don't believe that smaller anti-personel mines were used till WW1. Of coures I could be mistaken in my history...
                      Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
                      http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

Very good idea, NeOmega.

I created both a land mine and naval mine unit (get them here

I've seen various ways to implement them, but yours seems more practical. You can give it bombard strength, just do not give the mine bombard abilty. This will ensure that it gets a shot in before the unit destroys it.
                        Customizing Civ is even more fun than playing it! :) :)

Comment

oh yeah, I forgot, also give the land mine a -4 hp bonus, that way it will always only have 1 hp.... (and have way less of a chance of ever making it to elite, but -4, just in case..... :P
                          Pentagenesis for Civ III
                          Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                          Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Working...
                          X