Obsolete Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsolete Units

I was wondering if its possible to make units obsolete so that you can't produce them again when something better has been discovered. ie: when you get destroyer you can make ironclad obsolete. I find that some of my city governers are switching to these "obsolete" units after completing a production order forcing me to change it to something more appropiate. I can see how using older units can still be helpfull later in the game depending on the situation but sometimes it just isn't needed, and is annoying when the computer aids think its a good idea.

thanks

uber Sniggins

I set all my to cities to never build units of any kind. That way its under my control. I also have it set to give me a popup box whenever a city completes anything.

Comment

yeah, I never use Governers - they suck badly
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Some people like using the Governors for controlling the populations moods and they may put people back to work after a polluted tiles is cleaned up. I don't know myself on that one. I am going to test it in a couple cities that have real pollution problems soon. It might be worth it for them.

Comment

Re: Obsolete Units

Originally posted by uber sniggins
          I was wondering if its possible to make units obsolete so that you can't produce them again when something better has been discovered. ie: when you get destroyer you can make ironclad obsolete. I find that some of my city governers are switching to these "obsolete" units after completing a production order forcing me to change it to something more appropiate. I can see how using older units can still be helpfull later in the game depending on the situation but sometimes it just isn't needed, and is annoying when the computer aids think its a good idea.

thanks

uber Sniggins
          You can change it in the editor. Find the tab on the units page that mentions a unit to upgrade to, and pick something. Then look over on your right for a checkbox that says something about "upgrade units".

Comment

A unit automatically becomes obsolete if another unit that it upgrades to becomes available. I don't think there's any other way to make a unit obsolete. So you might want to change the upgrade paths, which don't even exist for the later warships (swordmen and longbowmen don't upgrade either, of course).
            "God is dead." - Nietzsche
            "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

The Best way is to totally control production yourself.Ethelred the govenor does an excellent job of controlling happiness,Ive noticed in my games that with this feature on in late game situations it nearly always converts extra pop into taxmen only creating entertainers when absolutely necessary.However if you want more scientists then you will have to controll this yourself in the individual cities.
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
              X