Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware problem (sort of) - help, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware problem (sort of) - help, please.

My problem is this:

My CD-ROM drive is aging. It works well with most of my CD's, but some of them are creating me problems. Unfortunately this is also the case with my civ3 CD (I know what some of you may think about this, especially because I'm from Eastern Europe, but believe me, it is genuine).
    Usually I have to load/unload the civ3 CD at least 5 or 10 times (sometimes even more; 15-20) until it is recognized by the computer. This is really annoying, plus I'm afraid that in a certain moment it will stop working for good.

Can anybody give me an idea what can I do (other than "clean your CD drive" or "buy a new one")? Is there possible, somehow, to play without the CD? Or maybe I should make a copy of my civ3 CD and try playing with it instead? I don't even know if it has copy protection or something?

I wish they didn't force me to play it this way (with the CD in). I suppose this is due to their anti-piracy policy, but it hearts only us, because crackers will always find a way to by-pass such protections.

Thanks.
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

you have a point - only legitimate buyers have to put up with CD checks. Infogrames will provide a no-CD patch, but I've heard that you have to jump through some pretty major hoops to get it.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Actualy MarkTG posted a link to that just the other day. Well I think it was him. It was one of the Marks.

It still must have the CD in the Drive.

Try cleaning the CD itself since it does read occasionaly it may the CD could use cleaning.

Comment

I found his post and the link. I was afraid the thread might have been deleted after a bit. It was about cracks.

Anyway I checked out the link and there is where you start jumping through hoops I suppose to get the patch. There a couple of buttons at the bottom. Try those to get started.

Comment

Oops it won't get YOU started. It would work for me.

From one of the buttons:

Infogrames Inc. will not provide this file to any person residing in countries other than Canada, Mexico or the United States and it's protectorates. If you are in any other nation and feel that you require this file, please contact your local support as listed in the manual you received with Civilization III to obtain a copy.

A new CD drive is often a good thing.

Comment

Working...
          X