changing the music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the music

Recently I wanted to listen to some of my mp3s while playing Civ, but my mp3-player and Civ don't work at the same time (Civ without sound does work, when I start the mp3-player before opening Civ, but I want to have the sound effects, too).
    Thus I looked into the Civ3-directory and saw, that the original music-files for the modern age are mp3s. I saved the original files to another folder and replaced them with my own mp3s. Then I started Civ, but it didn't play any music at all.

So now the question(s):
    Is it at all possible to make Civ3 play my own mp3s?
    Is there e.g. a txt-file, where I have to insert the titles or something like that?

I think if you change the names of the MP3s to match the present ones that will work.

However I have played MP3s while running Civ. With XP anyway. I was using Music Match Jukebox but that requires a lot of memory because Music Match is a hog.

I think if you turn off the music but leave the sound effects on that will do the trick. That is what I did anyway. Playing a CD would use up less CPU cycles though. So if you have two CD drives you could have Civ III in one and an audio CD in the other.

I now play with sound effects only. That way the game has more CPU cycles to work with and PIII 700 needs all it can get with Civ III.

It may also be that you sound card simply can't handle that many digital audio streams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
      I think if you change the names of the MP3s to match the present ones that will work.
      which limits the number of songs, but if nothing else works, this could be a last chance.

I think if you turn off the music but leave the sound effects on that will do the trick. That is what I did anyway. Playing a CD would use up less CPU cycles though. So if you have two CD drives you could have Civ III in one and an audio CD in the other.
      That's, what I usually do, too and this works fine.
      So it's not a very big problem that I cannot listen to my mp3s, but it's quite annoying, because I think, it cannot be very difficult, you just have to know how!

I now play with sound effects only. That way the game has more CPU cycles to work with and PIII 700 needs all it can get with Civ III.
      I'm playing on a Celeron 333. Without music I wouldn't endure that the AI needs several minutes for its turns in the industrial and modern age.

It may also be that you sound card simply can't handle that many digital audio streams.
      I think that's what my computer is trying to tell me.

Comment

Working...
      X