Monarchy vs. Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarchy vs. Republic

So which is better, Monarchy or Republic? I find that paying for all my units grinds my science to a halt when I switch from Despotism to Republic while under Monarchy the free units and extra content faces more than makes up for the increased waste/corruption. I do not remember that last time I have been a Republic.

Do you use Republic? How does it fit into your strategy?
    ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
    "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
    Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

It depends on what style game you are playing.

I switch to Republic ASAP. I can usually buy Monarchy later or research it later and I almost never use it. republic is great if you are playing a builder game and have a lot of cities but Monarchy is good for early war. For later war you can use communism.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I usually head direct to Republic and once I switch to that I tend to stick with it for a long time. It's not as efficient as Democracy for my style of playing (builder, peaceful) but it experience has taught me that War Weariness is not as bad as Democracy and since the AI keeps on bugging me and attacking me at later stages I cannot maintain the much desired peace! Thus, I start wars more often than I'd like and Republic is much better than Democracy when you are at war. I find Monarchy's advantages to pale against its scientific penalties or rather lack of science bonus! Thus I tend to stay away from Monarchy. But ultimately it is a gama by game choice as well as playstyle!

So long...

PS: Was that confusing?!

EDIT: This is a double thread and that makes me !
      Last edited by The Pioneer; August 29, 2002, 02:46.
      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

The bigger your military, and the more aggressive you are, the greater the advantage provided by Monarchy over Republic (paid maintainence, martial law, and no war weariness). The relevant questions would seem to be:

1. Is the extra commerce provided by switching from Monarchy to Republic enough to make up for the price of your military (in gold) and the loss of martial law (with the luxury slider)?
        2. How often/long will you be at war?

The answers to these questions will of course vary.
        "God is dead." - Nietzsche
        "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
          I usually head direct to Republic and once I switch to that I tend to stick with it for a long time. It's not as efficient as Democracy for my style of playing (builder, peaceful) but it experience has taught me that War Weariness is not as bad as Democracy and since the AI keeps on bugging me and attacking me at later stages I cannot maintain the much desired peace! Thus, I start wars more often than I'd like and Republic is much better than Democracy when you are at war. I find Monarchy's advantages to pale against its scientific penalties or rather lack of science bonus! Thus I tend to stay away from Monarchy. But ultimately it is a gama by game choice as well as playstyle!

So long...

PS: Was that confusing?!

EDIT: This is a double thread and that makes me !

This is a triple thread!

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I prefer monarchy over republic

I prefer Monarchy over the republic because I don't want to get problems with the moods of my citizens. And I see it as a weakness to other civs because it is a problem for the republic to go aggressive to other civs.
            And I get good gold per turn, about 15 to 25 per turn.

Comment

This thread is still open?!

It's a triple thread and in my book that's called

So long
              Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
              Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
              Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

what about communism? anyone finds it useful? I haven't really used it enough to notice the big advantages, if there are any
                CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                  what about communism? anyone finds it useful? I haven't really used it enough to notice the big advantages, if there are any
                  If I have a choice between some very productive cities with the rest being very bad in this point (on democracy), or all the cities with a not so good production, I'll choose the first option.
                  There is the military support of comunism goverments, maybe this balance things, but I still prefer democracy.
                  Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

Working...
                  X