I need a new civ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new civ!

I am working on a scenario; humongous “real” world map with all cities in their proper place. The year is 1930 AD, city populations have been set to the 1930 census, techs and improvements have been set to the appropriate levels and all major units are in place. The players are: America, Brazil (Inca,) England (should I rename to the UK?), France (my kingdom for a De Gaulle leaderhead,) Germany, Russia, Italy (Rome,) Greece, Egypt, Ethiopia (Zulu,) Iraq (Babs,) Iran (Persia,) China and Japan.

I need at least one more civ. I have been toying with the idea of either Australia or The Netherlands (mostly due to empty map space) but I am at a loss as to what the appropriate leaders (preferably era specific), civ attributes and UU (if any due to the timeline) would be.

Due to the time required to make a 50,000+ square era accurate map of earth I am forced to limit my research time and I hope this forum will prove to be an effective research tool. I could also use a Brazilian leadername. Any other comments, tips, ideas, etc in regard to this type of scenario would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Would a screenshot help? Should I think about using the "Union of South Africa"? (or would that be too PI)
    Attached Files

Comment

Any Polynesian culture might suffice, specifically the Maori people of New Zealand.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

In 1930?

Comment

Well..considering they were horribly victimized by the colonists that came to Australia and New Zealand just like the Native Americans here in the States, they are trying to improve their lot...and I read elsewhere in the forum someone who was doing something similar, but didn't want to add another western european-influenced culture like New Zealand or Australia. But if you want to limit yourself to just Australia or the Netherlands...go with Australia and fill that part of the map. My eye didn't catch the 1930 part of your post the first time I read it...blind as a bat w/o my glasses, still a little blurry if they're not sitting on my nose JUST right.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Indonesia? Some Pacific Islander or SouthEastern Oriental Civ would be most appropriate. That way Japan has someone to Imperialize before WW2.
            (just trying to be historical)

Although the Aussies should work.

Comment

This looks great! I am looking forward to playing it. Australia would be a nice addition. If you want to add Australia you could start at: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ight=Australia
              For your photo needs:
              http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by: GhengisFarb
                Indonesia? Some Pacific Islander or SouthEastern Oriental Civ would be most appropriate. That way Japan has someone to Imperialize before WW2.
                Unfortunately they were all colonies of European states. Indonesia was Dutch, the English and French pretty much had the rest of the islands occupied so the Aussies are probably going to be the add-on. Do you think I can get away with using (Little) Hiawatha as the leaderhead?

Comment

This Scenario seems like it could be tons of fun, especially if settlers were very expensive (to tone down people like the Brazilians from colonizing like mad).

good work.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

especially if settlers were very expensive
                    Interesting that you should comment on that. The settler unit for this mod costs 120 shields and 5 pop. It has a defensive value so it won’t spawn a pile of workers when it is overrun. Three of the civs; Iran, Iraq and Ethiopia, are not allowed to build them at all as they were intended only to fill a hole in the map and be a target of conquest. The AI has proven time and again its’ inability to use differing strategies so the unit also has great movement ability to get you to that strategic spot before your rival.

Comment

you could add the netherlands and let them have a forbidden palace in indonesia.
                      CSPA

Comment

Should I think about using the "Union of South Africa"? (or would that be too PI)
                        also a good idea. remember that they controlled South-West Africa (Namibia) as well.

and what's PI
                        CSPA

Comment

what's PI
                          It means politically incorrect, as opposed to politically correct, referring to the fact Hitler is the leader of the German civ, meaning; with one racist “pos” in the game would it not be too much to bring in another? It has the potential to be as offensive to some as making Canada part of the US or New Zealand part of Australia.

As for the Dutch, the main problem I have with adding them is the fact that given the constraints of such a “small” map, they would only have one city (the capitol) on the European continent, the rest of the civ would be in what is now Malaya, Indonesia and New Guinea. That one city is sure to be conquered early, leaving the Dutch (a European civ) completely in Asia. But hypothetically, were I to add the Netherlands, who would be the best choice for leader, 20th century UU, etc.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have not ruled out the possibility of using them, but there are many unanswered issues; for example the size of Europe (on the map) compared to the 1930 population, city population, empire size, etc. that could detrimentally affect the way this mod plays out. Look at the map: I would have to remove a French city (civ population is already way off, unless I should alter city sizes until they reflect the full population of the civ, it would make for an average city size of 25) to add one Dutch city with a population 12 (780,000.) So please, give me a good argument for adding them, (I would really like to) but unfortunately, given the parameters of the simulation and the cold hard facts of reality (the map requires no fluff in Europe) it seems impractical.

At least now I know why I’ve started to call this mod “my obsession.”

Comment

Sorry, the attachment didn't attach...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok I see what you mean, but I don't agree. The Union of South Africa existed, racist or not, it's part of history.
                              As opposed to this
                              It has the potential to be as offensive to some as making Canada part of the US or New Zealand part of Australia
                              which never happened.
                              CSPA

Comment

Working...
                              X