Please don't title threads "help"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't title threads "help"

That goes for "Please help" or "PLEASE HELP!!!" or anything similar too. If you must say one of these things, at least include a description of the problem too. We already know that you need help, since this is the Help forum. Using a description of the problem for the thread title will help people who know the solution to that problem to know that they should respond to the thread.

Say, did you ever notice that a word starts to sound strange if you say it enough? I for one really start to perceive it more and more as a series of sounds, as opposed to just noticing its meaning. Listen: help help help help help help help help help.

OK, I'm done now.
    "God is dead." - Nietzsche
    "Nietzsche is dead." - God

I happen to agree with JohnM2433; I'm not going to open every thread titled 'Help!' on the offchance that I might be able todo just that. Even if it's just "Help! I fancy Joan de Arc!", that's still more likely to get me to look at it.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

As far as I can see there is only one (1) thread titled "help" without further explanation on the first three pages (which date back up to a month).
      So I don't understand your problem.

Comment

Well, others have posted threads with similar titles in the past.

Absolutely, people may title threads as they wish. I never said they shouldn't. I was simply tring to make a helpful suggestion, not to complain. I don't wish to say anything negative here about someone who may title a thread, say, "I am new, and need help." I just thought it would be helpful to everyone involved to include a description of the problem in the thread title. It's helpful to the poster because those who know the solution are more likely to respond, and it's helpful to those browsing the threads because it then takes less time to find something they have knowledge of or interest in.

Most such threads are probably started by forum newbies. I thought that if I posted this thread, maybe they would look at it before writing their own posts, and thus would be able to find help faster. Perhaps there should be an introduction to the site with a few words explaining what each of the forums is about, for example, "General questions should be submitted to the Help forum. When posting a question to any forum, please give a summary of the question or the problem you are having in the thread title."

Actually, I don't think there's anything wrong with using the word "help" in a thread title; I should have been more clear on that. "Computer keeps crashing: PLEASE HELP!!" would be fine as far as I'm concerned. It's just that a non-specific request for help seems so... inefficient.
        "God is dead." - Nietzsche
        "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Please don't title threads "Please don't title threads "help"".
          CSPA

Comment

I think we've all spammed enough now, don't you?
            Up the Irons!
            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Yes, you did.

Case closed.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

so did you
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Well, I've just named my thread "help, please". Sorry.

Anyway, it is better than "please help, isn't it?
                  "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

Well, your thread's also got "Hardware problem" in the title, so that's ok.
                    Up the Irons!
                    Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

I love those threads where people say in the title: "Help, I can't play the game".

And then write something like this: "Could anyone help me?".

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                      X