Unused improvement options in Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unused improvement options in Editor

I was looking over the Improvements section of the editor just now in conjunction with a couple of threads in the PTW forum, and noticed that there are several settings and options in there that are not used at all in any improvement or wonder as of this time.

They are as follows:

+50% Luxury Output - Increases luxury output of city improvement is built in by 50%.

Required Government - Setting to require a particular government to be operating before an Improvement or Wonder can be built.

Unhappy/Unhappy (all cities) - Improvement or Wonder causes unhappiness.

Bombardment defense - Makes improvement or wonder more resistant to bombardment.

I am wondering if anyone has thought of any good suggestions for how to utilize these options. Also tends to make one wonder what might be getting added with PTW. I'm especially surprised about the +50% Luxury Output setting. I would have thought that something would be using that.

Statue of Liberty

The Statue of Liberty could be used for the "Government Required' option. Just a suggestion.
    What's my signature going to be when I become a Warlord? Guess and Win!
    I've got the body of a GOD. So what if it's Buddha? ~Cheiftain
    There are only 3 types of people in this world; the ones that can count, and the ones that can't. ~Settler

Comment

I have used these before but I forget how. When I updated to 1.29 I forgot to back up some files so everything was lost. it worked just fine in the games I used it in.
      For your photo needs:
      http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Re: Unused improvement options in Editor

Originally posted by Bleyn
        I was looking over the Improvements section of the editor just now in conjunction with a couple of threads in the PTW forum, and noticed that there are several settings and options in there that are not used at all in any improvement or wonder as of this time.

They are as follows:

+50% Luxury Output - Increases luxury output of city improvement is built in by 50%.

Required Government - Setting to require a particular government to be operating before an Improvement or Wonder can be built.

Unhappy/Unhappy (all cities) - Improvement or Wonder causes unhappiness.

Bombardment defense - Makes improvement or wonder more resistant to bombardment.

I am wondering if anyone has thought of any good suggestions for how to utilize these options. Also tends to make one wonder what might be getting added with PTW. I'm especially surprised about the +50% Luxury Output setting. I would have thought that something would be using that.
        Yes, I've been playing around with these, especially the gov specific one. With a bit of imagination, you can add some interesting elements with it. Example: gov specific versions of Wall Street, so everytime you switch, your treasury takes a hit of 50 gold. But Communists don't get one.

And recently I created a Manor improvement for Monarchy which increases the luxury output by 50%, and is required for a Monarchy specific barracks. Or how about a City Hall for Democracy, which makes a citizen happy? There's all sorts of things that can be done. A Berlin Wall Communist wonder that builds a wall in every city, and doubles city defences?

The last two you mentioned are actually being used in the game, though I forget by what right now. The first two definitely aren't.

Comment

If you have a government specific building and then change governments do you get to keep the improvement?
          For your photo needs:
          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik
            If you have a government specific building and then change governments do you get to keep the improvement?
            No, it will disappear from your city list, along with any effects it has. It's still there, so if you go back to that government, it will reappear. Which can make for some interesting twists.

Comment

So one could say make an improvement specifically for the Communists called the Gulag that would decrease corruption (and maybe war werriness) at the cost of one unhappy citizen (no maintanence since they wouldn't spend money on prisions right).

You could build it as a Communist, and only see it when running that way.

And yes, I know the gulag predated the Communists, but its as good a name as any.

Comment

So one could say make an improvement specifically for the Communists called the Gulag that would decrease corruption (and maybe war werriness) at the cost of one unhappy citizen (no maintanence since they wouldn't spend money on prisions right).

You could build it as a Communist, and only see it when running that way.
                Yes, that's idea. Except Communism doesn't have war weariness. There's lots you can do just with that happiness/unhappiness thing you mention, especially when tied to gov specific. I've also made some unhappy citizens with pollution creating buildings, like a Factory.

Also, you can set negative culture numbers. It won't reduce existing overall culture, but it will counteract any positive cultural buildings. For example, an Art Gallery produces 2 culture, but a Concentration Camp has -2. So there's no overall gain.

Comment

Have played with giving more than the SAM an air defense value:

Factories: 6
                  Harbors: 4
                  Hydro Plants: 6

Don't know how this works in 129 yet, haven't been air attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

No, it will disappear from your city list, along with any effects it has. It's still there, so if you go back to that government, it will reappear. Which can make for some interesting twists.
                    What about Great Wonders? For example, if I were to make Universal Suffrage available only in a Democracy, what would happen if I switched governments after building it?
                    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin

What about Great Wonders? For example, if I were to make Universal Suffrage available only in a Democracy, what would happen if I switched governments after building it?
                      Gov specific wonders will also disappear, and supposedly their abilities as well. Apparently they've fixed the problem that allowed wonder effects to continue after a gov switch. I haven't had a chance yet to see if they actually have or not. As of 1.21f, the effects still remained.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that market places give +50% gold And +50% luxuries (thats how it was in Civ II at least), of course if you have luxuries set at 0% the the bonus has no effect.
                        You could have an additional bonus on top of the marketplace- say a department store for example that give an adition to the luxury bonus gained by marketplaces and banks. It would not be a very big bonus, and would only be of use when luxuries were set at more than 0% (though entertainers create luxuries I think) therefore I would sugest making it Free (no maintenace cost, after its built, it pays for itself) you could then make it in small cities near the edge of your empire where a marketplace would be useless due to low revenues, and a department store would help the high luxury rates nececitated by warefare in democracy (you may want to make it democracy specific).

Comment

Originally posted by Smoking Mirror
                          I'm fairly sure that market places give +50% gold And +50% luxuries (thats how it was in Civ II at least), of course if you have luxuries set at 0% the the bonus has no effect.
                          No, right now the flag for Marketplace is "Increases Luxury Trade", which is a different effect. Increasing luxury spending by 50% is not currently being used by any improvement in the game.

I've checked this thoroughly!

Comment

Re: Unused improvement options in Editor

I added this to the UN to give it some value besides the abrupt game ending vote thing.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                            X