Adding Technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Technologies

Could someone walk me through the process of adding a tech (and keeping the icons right) to 1.29 that would be researchable after all the modern techs have been discovered?
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

You should be able to do it by having all the "end" techs (Int. Defense, Genetics, Robotics and Stealth).
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Will I have to give the tech a position on the Science Advisor screen? Or will it be researchable from the drop down menu after you discover the last tech required.
      For your photo needs:
      http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Adding techs is easy, making it look pretty is a bit more challenging.

(1) Add the tech in the editor. Including an x/y position.

(2) Create both a large and small tech icon. Both are in .pcx format (Lview is an excellent editor). The small icon is size 32x32 and the large is 128x128. Be sure to name them in the following format to avoid confusion: x-tech name-icon size.pcx where x is the number of the tech. Just start numbering whereever you left off. So if your adding your first tech, Firaxis ended the tech tree with 82-Writing-small.pcx, and the tech you are adding should be 83. (again, this is not necessary but it is a good way to track your changes, especially if you are making several). Save icons in Civilization III/art/tech chooser/icons/

(3) Open pediaicons.txt in a text editor. This file controls which icons go with which techs. Once you look at the tech section of pediaicons.txt, the procedure to add techs should be self-explanatory. Remember to add entries for both small and large icons.

(4) To display properly, the file size of small icons should not exceed 2Kb and large icons should not exceed 16Kb.

(5) The tech tree display in the science advisor screen is another matter. For whatever reason, Firaxis opted to make the arrows on that screen a static feature of the background. So if you add new techs, no arrows will be drawn to them. Each age has its own advisor screen with arrows. You will have to draw new arrows on each science advisor era screen to which you add new techs. This can be a bit challenging (again Lview is a good, cheap editor with which to do this).

If you want to see new techs added, check out my space race mod (click link in my signature) and check out what I did with the modern age. I've included icons for the new techs, a new modern era science advisor background with arrows, as well as civiliopedia and pediaicons text files which account for these new techs.
        - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
        - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
        - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar

(4) To display properly, the file size of small icons should not exceed 2Kb and large icons should not exceed 16Kb.
          Thank you VERY much for this one.
          I was wondering why my large icons was showing up
          correctly while the small icons was messed up.

-S
          GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
          even mean anything?

Comment

Working...
          X