Draft, but not Build? A way to make Government Specific Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft, but not Build? A way to make Government Specific Units

Is it possible to make a unit so that it can only be drafted but not built? I was hoping to use this as a way to make government specific units.

Here's how it would work: I have a Roman era scenario, and I was going to make Pikemen available with the Republic. Also, the Republic tech would allow drafting (I'll argue that people will be more willing to go and fight to defend their semi-democracy or some kind of excuse like that ). In addition, Republic can draft one unit per turn, while all the other governments can NOT draft at all. I.E. if you want to draft units at all, you'll need to be a republic. This way, one can only have pikemen if their government is a Republic.

That said, how do I go about making it impossible for non-Republics to build Pikemen, even if that Civ has the the Republican tech?
    My only idea is to make Pikemen absurdedly expensive, but that's really a sloppy solution.
    OR
    If at all possible, make them rely on a city improvement, but city improvement specific units are not possible eaither are they? If it were, the whole business with the drafting could also be dropped.
    You sunk my Scrableship!

Not only is making really expensive a sloppy solution, it's one that lends itself to exploitation. Someone could essentially poprush by drafting these units and then disbanding them.

Comment

Sorry, but I doubt very much if your idea is possible. There's no way at the moment to make gov specific units.

Comment

Didn't think so. I found that you can make buildings gov't specific, but that doesn't lead into certain buildings allowinf certain units, which would be perfect.
        You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Working...
        X