suggestions on brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on brazil

I'm working on a 31 civ mod on a map of the real world, and I'm going to include Brazil in south America. I'm looking for help/suggestions on what to make its unique unit and/or csa's. Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I'd say industrious. May not be historically accurate (im not a Brazil buff), but i'd be useful for the jungle.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I was thinking industrious too, the history i found on Brazil placed a lot of emphasis on their industry. The other ability will probably be expansionist since, even though that ability is largely useless after the early game, brazil has done a lot of inland expansion at the expense of other civs.

Now I just need a UU. It'll probably be a modern era unit that I make up... I'm thinking of a Wraith-Class Stealth Fighter that can do air superiority, or a Vampire-Class nuclear sub that's just plain brutal.
      "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Uber --> you know Brazil has a city called Uberlandia?

Comment

I've got two choices of UU's for you. These were given to me by the CivIII Brazil Mod guys.

There's the Bandierente, which I have in my Guerilla Tactics mod. It's a A/T/M: 1/1/2 settler with both Settling and Offensive strategies. Bandierente's were Portugese explorers who expanded the territory by taking control of native villages and making them slaves. As mean as they were, they were a huge part of why Brazil is so big today.

Or, Infantaria. It has the same stats as an Infantry, but with a lower sheild cost. They represent the infantry force that Brazil had when they fought in the second World War.

Comment

sween32: thanks, i'm still debating whether to use a future unit though, since Brazil really hasnt yet become the world-dominating power that most civilizations are during there golden ages. Oh, and on an off-topic note, the leaderheads for new civs are wonderful. They're static but still better than the ones from other civs that I'm forced to use right now.

Comment

Look! A post from a Brazilian!!

I am very pleased to read your thoughts about my country!

I am new to Civ3, and I would like to help a little here...

Unique unit suggestions (I would prefer the modern ones... ):

-Industrial Age:
              Instead of "Infantaria", a better name would be "Expeditionary", because
              we call our WWII veterans "Expedicionários" (Expeditionaries).

-Middle Ages (although Brazil was discovered in 1500)
              The correct spelling of "Bandierente", in Portuguese, is "Bandeirante". (Sorry, I know
              my English isn´t very good, either). It was kind of an "Armed Scout". Their
              definition is correct.

-Modern Age:

Astros II - a multiple rocket launcher plataform. One image is worth a thousand words.
              Just follow the link below. Maybe it could be a mobile Cruiser Launcher, in Civ3.

Urutu - (tip for you english readers: say the "u" like when you say the "w" in the word "new")
              an anfibious armored vehicle capable of carrying troops. No more need to build another naval transport at the other side of the continent. Just go with the anfibious one through the land to load your troops into it.

Cascavel - (another tip: say the "a" like the "a" in the word "another"; the "e" like the "e"
              in the word "echo")
              high firepower and fast, armored unit, used mainly for reconaissance missions.

About Civ Characteristics...

Brazilians would be
              Industrious and Religious. Although we are still a developing country (the only
              developing and south hemisphere country participating in the Space Station!! Whooooaa!)
              IMHO Brazil have always tried to focus on production.
              Religious, because in general Brazilians are very religious, and although we are a
              more than 90% Catholic country, our people live incredibly well and peacefully among
              a mixture of other religions. Our country, as a teacher once told me when I was a child,
              "is like a great Hotel!".

No ideas, so far, about a Golden Age for Brazil. Maybe in the Modern Age, with Biotechnology from
              Amazon, our first sattelite launcher (due to November, 2002) and our first astronaut (included in the Space Station
              program).

I´m looking forward to hear more from you! Thanks for the interest in my country!

Best regards,
              :::::::::::::
              Craftsman

Comment

Industrious and religious? That would make Brazil one of the most powerful civs available. On par with Egypt and Khmer. But, that may be necessary with all of the Amazonian Jungle that a Brazilian Civ would need to hack through.

As for your English, it's better than the English of some Americans and Britishers I've seen before. Including my own.

Questions though, if the golden age would be triggered by a scientific advancement, then wouldnt Scientific be a better civ specific ability for Brazil? And I dont think you can make a unit that goes on both land and water. The best way to simulate a true amphibious (I know, we dont spell our words the way they sound) unit would be to have a flying unit the way Civ 2 did flying units, but I dont have the skill to do that.

One last thing, I'm glad to see support for the ISS still exists. GW isnt too excited about that project, but of course this isnt the first time I've disagreed with our President, and it probably wont be the last either.

Comment

Sorry, It was really "amphibious".

Industrious and religious? That would make Brazil one of the most powerful civs available. On par with Egypt and Khmer. But, that may be necessary with all of the Amazonian Jungle that a Brazilian Civ would need to hack through.
                  Oh, well... Maybe Expansionist and Religious, then. We´re not so powerful

As for your English, it's better than the English of some Americans and Britishers I've seen before. Including my own.
                  I´m flattered, Chandragupta. Thank you very much! I´m always learning something new, reading and writing with your nice language.

Questions though, if the golden age would be triggered by a scientific advancement, then wouldnt Scientific be a better civ specific ability for Brazil? And I dont think you can make a unit that goes on both land and water. The best way to simulate a true amphibious (I know, we dont spell our words the way they sound) unit would be to have a flying unit the way Civ 2 did flying units, but I dont have the skill to do that.
                  Unfortunately, and it´s hard for me to say, Brazil isn´t good enough in sciences to receive that characteristic in a Civ3 game. It would be weird, to say the least.

I was just kidding talking about a Golden Age for Brazil in the Modern Era. It was just a suggestion for your mod that a Brazilian would like to see in the real life (a scientifically developed country). But this isn´t real. Our Golden Age would be related to Religious or Expansionist triggers... In another Era.

One last thing, I'm glad to see support for the ISS still exists. GW isnt too excited about that project, but of course this isnt the first time I've disagreed with our President, and it probably wont be the last either.
                  I didn´t know that! That´s very sad...

Our participation in the ISS is very modest - about 120M US$. But, for Brazil, this is very significative.

I´ll stay tuned to hear about your mod!

Best regards,
                  Craftsman

Comment

Just a quick quick question to chandragupt - How come you know of that name - Not many people at Apolyton (infact hardly any) know anything worth while about Indian history. For them India came into being more less in 1947 ....
                    apologies for threadjacking
                    "Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, even older than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together" - Mark Twain
                    Your face, your ass; whats the difference - Da'Duke

Comment

Samdragupt: check your private messages.

Back to the thread.

Craftsman: How about a futuristic unique unit for Brazil? I've heard people predict that Brazil will be the next world power after America and China have had their turns (Russia's too unstable now to count). I've run accross a mechanized-walker graphic that I really like, and I feel that for mankind, the best is yet to come.

Comment

Definately expansionist. The bandierante expanded their land very far (although they were outlaws), and is the main reason why Brazil is so big. Atleast, that's what I've been told. In my Guerilla Tactics mod, Brazil is Expansionist and Commercial.

There is no question Brazil will be the next world power. We're seeing it develope infront of our eyes.

I live on Cape Cod (the next best thing to New Havana for Brazilians), and have had the pleasure of working with many Brazilians while I was a landscaper. Most of them are EXTREMELY intelligent, and are computer programmers back in Brazil. Their knowledge and work ethics put America to shame. I'm just amazed at how smart these people are and their reduced to cutting lawns and raking leaves so they can buy their mother a new home and support their children back home. They've inspired me tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by sween32
                          Definately expansionist. The bandierante expanded their land very far (although they were outlaws), and is the main reason why Brazil is so big. Atleast, that's what I've been told. In my Guerilla Tactics mod, Brazil is Expansionist and Commercial.

There is no question Brazil will be the next world power. We're seeing it develope infront of our eyes.

I live on Cape Cod (the next best thing to New Havana for Brazilians), and have had the pleasure of working with many Brazilians while I was a landscaper. Most of them are EXTREMELY intelligent, and are computer programmers back in Brazil. Their knowledge and work ethics put America to shame. I'm just amazed at how smart these people are and their reduced to cutting lawns and raking leaves so they can buy their mother a new home and support their children back home. They've inspired me tremendously.
                          I´m very happy to see such a positive view about Brazil, from you, my friends!

Chandragupta: a futuristic UU for Brazil would be great, since, as you said, our turn is in the future. Would you have a link for the unit picture?

sween32: I visited your
                          Guerilla Tactics page! It´s amazing!
                          I would like just to change some figures about our population:

Brazil has the sixth largest population in the world--about 148 million people--which has doubled in the past 30 years. Because of its size, there are only 15 people per sq. km, concentrated mainly along the coast and in the major cities, where two-thirds of the people now live: over 19 million in greater Sao Paulo and 10 million in greater Rio.
                          I´m not sure about the other figures, but Brazil´s actual population is almost 175 million people. Please, fell free to take a look at our Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística - Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics. There´s a yellow "clock" counting our population, at the top of the page. At the upper right side of the page, you can find a link to an English version of the page.

The Brazilian history summary is very accurate, and the choice of Getúlio Vargas was a great one! Althoug Brazil is a very Religious country, nowadays we´re trying to make more exports. So, I also liked the bonuses: Expansionist and Commercial. Congratulations!!

Best regards for you all,
                          Craftsman

Comment

Working...
                          X