MOD: Civ1 mod playable version. comments, criticisms invited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Civ1 mod playable version. comments, criticisms invited

This is my first mod, for Sid Meier's Civilization. To keep within the file size limits, I have asked you to download at least one file from apolyton (jimmyh's camel unit), and do a lot of renaming. if I included all the renamed folders, the file would be around 10 MB!!!

this is mostly done, with the only major thing needing doing is writing the civilopedia entries. there are some problems, and any advice on dealing with these would be welcome.

Father Beast

Edit: please use the 2 files a few posts down. that is the updated and better way to go.

Thanks
    Last edited by Father Beast; August 14, 2002, 08:13.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Make it non destructive.

I.E. instead of renaming Warrior to Militia make a new folder named militia, copy the warrior.ini to that folder and renameit to militia.ini. then edit all paths in that file to ..\warrior\old path

Then ziop together those almost empty folders with the others. Also prepare he camel folder, and write a little more datailed post. Then I'll move it.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

What does the mod do? The link appears to be brkewn, I couldn't download it. I take it you've made it like Civ 1. You might be interested in looking at my Feels like Civ2 mod then. Click on the appropriate link in my signature below.
      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
      Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Gramphos-

I hadn't thought of doing that before, that will cut down on the size, for sure, though it will still put it over the limit, I think.
        I will get on it right away, and mail you the file when it's done. It's still technically not done becasue I haven't finished writing the civilopedia entries.
        I guess I'll write a more detailed post in this thread, as requested.

Rusty-

I love your Feels like Civ2 mod, and used the cultural effects as a basis for canceling the culture in my civ1 mod. I noted you in the readme.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

oK, I'v refined it a bit more, and taken Gramphos instructions to heart. the file is still too big to post here, but chopping it in half will allow me to post it in 2 parts. I'm just on for a few moments right now, but will post the mod tomorrow morning.

Comment

and HEEERRE IT IS.....

oK, here's my civ1 mod. once again, the only major thing I'm aware of that needs doing is writing the civilopedia entries. currently I only have most of the ground unit entries done.

Settlers and Workers are identical, I only kept both units so the AI would know what to do with them.

The tech tree has been rearranged to fit the civ1 tech tree, with allowances for the ages. cost for the techs has also been adjusted.

I don't have diplomats, but I DO have caravans! you can only use them for production rushing, and the cost of each is high, and increases with the ages. You still can't rush a wonder but you CAN rush a caravan.

Used the ideas found in rusty gamer's feels like civ2 mod to mostly eliminate cultural effects. have seen the odd city defect, though.

Natch, have eliminated all the improvements, wonders, and units (except the worker) that weren't in civ1.

Being disgusted about not being able to irrigate from seas, I gave the ability to irrigate anywhere as coming with alphabet, which is given to all civs as a starting tech. the only starting tech.

Natch, eliminated civ specific abilities...

That's about the size of it. I haven't playtested it into the modern age, so don't know what problems may arise. give it a shot and remember the good old days

EDIT: accidentally deleted the link instead of updating it. found 2 posts down
            Last edited by Father Beast; August 16, 2002, 07:14.

Comment

And the rest

and this is the art stuff that needs to be unzipped for the mod to work.
              Attached Files

Comment

Some changes

OK, found some errors while playing, made the corrections.

The collossus was still flagged as a coastal installation. that flag has now been removed so you can build the collossus in any city.

For some reason, the SS Structural was not listed as a spaceship part, and became a city improvement. now fixed.

I had erroneously given robotics no prerequisites. it now has computers and plastics as preqs, as it should be.

accidentally deleted download from above post. it's now here. I'll try not to do that anymore.

EDIT: Updated attachment
                EDIT: Updated again
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Father Beast; August 24, 2002, 06:49.

Comment

OK, got some more changes...

I have given all naval units (except the transport, which has no attack), the blitz capability. i also made sure that all naval units except trireme, sail, submarine, and carrier can bombard.

in the way of experiment, i have created 3 new improvements, called trade routes, available with the trade advance.
                  The first one increases taxes, the second one taxes and science, the third one taxes, science, and luxuries.

I did that because I was playing an OCC game and saw how hampered my science was without trade routes.

Comment

Good luck with the civ1 mod guys!

I still think CivNet is the best civgame yet and i don't really think civ3-ptw-multiplayer would be any better than that in aspect of gameplay enjoyment.

Comment

Whew!

OK, got to that before anyone downloaded it. when I added the trade route city improvements, the game would crash until I gave it a civiliopedia reference that was referenced in pediaicons.txt.

Comment

Working...
                      X