Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV: Israelite

Hi All,

I tried to post this in the files forum, but it told me I did not have access to it, so I am posting here instead.

Many people have talked about there needing to be an Israeli civilization, so I have decided to create one. Following is the readme file for this mod. I have chosen to use their ancient name rather than the modern Israeli name. Hope you all enjoy it.

Israelite Civilization Addition

Hi All,

This zip contains five files.

Israelites.bic
    Civilopedia.txt
    Pedialcons.txt
    Civilopedia.org
    Pedialcons.org

The first three files together add the Israelite civilization without changing any other rules in the game. The last too are the original files before modifications. These files are based on Patch 1.29 and many of the modifications were done in the new editor.

Installation Directions:

Israelites.bic needs to go in your scenario folder under Civ3.
    Civilopedia.txt and Pedialcons.txt need to go into the text folder under Civ3. Remember to save both the original Civilopedia.txt and Pedialcons.txt with a different name before you copy the new files to their location. Just incase you forget to anyway, I have included a copy of both the origial files in this zip. :-)

Mod Information:

No new art has been used. I have neither the talent nor the software to accomplish this. Instead, I have reused all the leader pics and animations from the Persians. These work very well and do not seem out of place. For the UU I have reused the Bowman of the Babylonians. I would have preffered a slinger to replace the Warrior as the UU, but currently there are no slinger animations for Civ3.

If anybody wants to create a slinger for the UU and different leader heads please do so. I believe that if I had the correct files I would know where to place them in the folder structure and Editor to make them work seamlessly.

I have made the Israelites, their ancient name, Religious and Commercial. This seems much more appropriate to their true ancient and even modern character than Militant that some have suggested. Also, as near as I can tell, there are no Religious/Commercial civs currently in the game so this is a nice addition.

None of the old civs have been changed. I have only added this new one. If anybody has any comments or constructive criticisms, emphasis on constructive, please feel free to give them to me.

Also, if anybody knows how to add text files into a scenario so that it is not necessary to replace regular text files, please let me know and I will be glad to make the adjustment. I played with it for quite awhile, but I just could not figure out how to make this happen.

Regards,

Timothy Pintello
    Attached Files

Nice input to Civ III!

Thanks!
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Good work, thanks alot!

Comment

Re: New Israelite Civ

Originally posted by Pintello
        Also, as near as I can tell, there are no Religious/Commercial civs currently in the game so this is a nice addition.
        India?
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

No better make new civ modern israel :Scientific and industrious, UU=buldozer.

You can get isometric slinger from HOMM4
          money sqrt evil;
          My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

FrustratedPoet,

You are correct about India. I missed that one. Thanks for the correction.

Muxec,

I decided on ancient Israel because I thought that would be more appropriate for Civ III. But that is just my opinion.

I think when you look at Israel's history, their ancient civilization has contributed much more to the world than modern Israel has. It is from ancient Israel that we get the Old Testament and Christians, Jews, and Muslims all recognize the Old Testament as scripture and have some elements of their respective religions based on it. Also I am a Christian and study the Bible a lot so it seemed most appropriate.

However, if I were using Modern Israel as my basis, I would probably use the specials you mentioned though I think some type of modern tank would be a better UU. The Israeli battle tank is actually better than the M1 except that it is smaller.

As to the HOMM slinger, I do not have that program on my computer so I don't have access to that unit. Would it work in Civ III as is or does it need to have modifications done to it? If anybody knows and can provide the animations that are appropriate to Civ III I would be more than glad to include it. I was thinking maybe a 1 defense, a 1 attack, and the same movement as the Scout.

My movement decision is based on the fact that a slinger in not encombered by armour or any of that sort of thing. Also those seem like the best values I could come up with without making the Archer or some other unit obsolete. I think this could be justified because all the civs that get the scout also get another UU where as the Israelites would not.

Trickey and Rasbelin,

I am glad you liked the new Civ I created. I hope you will use it and enjoy it.

Regards,

Timothy Pintello

Comment

OK i'll make jew mod. 5 extra civs "Jews", "Russian jews", "American jews", "Asian jews", "Assimilated jews"
              money sqrt evil;

Comment

Originally posted by muxec
                OK i'll make jew mod. 5 extra civs "Jews", "Russian jews", "American jews", "Asian jews", "Assimilated jews"
                If you wanted to make a true-Jew mod (at least representing modern Israel) it should be:

Sephardi Jews (about 40% of the population)
                Haredi Jews (about 10%)
                National-Religious Jews (about 15%)
                Secularists (about 25%)
                Russians (about 10%)

Comment

Re: New Israelite Civ

Originally posted by Pintello
                  Hi All,

I tried to post this in the files forum, but it told me I did not have access to it, so I am posting here instead.

Timothy Pintello
                  It should eventually get moved to the files forum or Apolyton directory.

You might want to PM MarkG to let someone know about it though.

Comment

No better F-16 as israel UU.
                    money sqrt evil;

Comment

No better F-16 as israel UU.
                      That is an American Unit...and hardly unique these days.
                      Ex Fide Vive
                      Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

Hi All,

Just checking back here to see how many of you downloaded the Israelite civ. I am very flattered to see that 15 of you have so far. Thank you very much and I hope the civ gives you much enjoyment.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

Glad to see someone add the Israelites.

Does anyone have (yet) a good, huge map of Canaan? Something that would cover everything west of the Euphrates, north of the Red Sea, south of Asia Minor (Turkey), and east of the gulf of Suez? Maybe it could be expanded a bit to include all of lower Egypt and all of Mesopotamia.

I would love to play some scenarios of Ancient Israel, such as the conquest of Canaan, era of the divided kingdom, try to fend of the invading Assyrians and Babylonians, the Maccabean revolt, and perhaps even some modern scenarios set in the same region.

I don't know how many of you remember the old "Holy Land" scenario for Civ II, but it was lots of fun, though the area of Canaan was much smaller scale than what I'd like to see.
                          "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. And those who do know history repeat it just for fun."

Comment

No better make new civ modern israel :Scientific and industrious
                            I've noticed that this combination is very popular with player-created Civs (such as Australia and Sweden). Practically every post-industrial nation could be described as "scientific and industrious" if one tries enough. What makes Israel more "industrious" than, say, America, Norway or France? Wouldn't modern Israel be better described as Militaristic and Scientific?
                            Last edited by Tau; October 8, 2004, 01:57.

Comment

Working...
                            X