MOD: korn's Blitz Mod x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korn,

When you are building your zip include the folders themselves (and choose use subfolders).
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Check someone else's

Originally posted by korn469
      desert dog

how would you do that with a normal zip? give me a step by step and i'll do that
      afaik what you are talking about sounds like a self extracting zip file, which you are not supposed to use to distribute files unless you actually bought a copy and i haven't, and i don't want to get apolyton in trouble
      Actually all you need to do is look at others who do the same thing. Elucidus mod zipped you just unzip into your Civ3 folder, all files and folders are put in the correct location. You check the "Keep folders names". You are correct about self extracting. I purchased zip years ago! Just zip up your mod and include all the folders and related files. Then it will put everything where it belongs.

Welcome back by the way
      Thanks ~ Desert Fox (Real Nickname)
      Fleet Admiral - NeoTech Games Network - Game News & Game Modding Community

Comment

Blitz2 looks like another significant improvement. I think the strong Special Forces unit in particular could improve the end game considerably if the AI uses it as much as it used partisans in Blitz1 (however they should have been stronger in Blitz1 to give a better challenge). I have run into a problem. The first time I click on a production order for one of the new units (war galley) the system crashes. I copied the war galley configuration file into a folder called War Galley as requested. What could be the possible cause? Has anyone else succeeded with this?

Comment

Step by step if you perfer?

It is quite simple really . All you do Korn is zip your mod up right from your Civ3 directory. Include all folder names if you get that option in the free version? When anyone unzips your mod it will go exactly where you have it on your system. THis way it ensures that no one will install incorrectly. The installer programs aren't not 100% compatible with XP until the next service pack is released this fall. (Just in case you use the windows installer program like some others have )
          I hope this helps you some, creating all those folders for everyone is quite tedious, since you already have them on your system not a problem to zip them up right?

Comment

Here is a link to a very good setup creator called Inno.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Is it?

Originally posted by TechWins
              Here is a link to a very good setup creator called Inno.
              Most of the freebie installers have the problem with changing drive destination. Even the one for Windows acts up from time to time. With civ3 files it is silly to use anything but zip for installing them. Only files not a program after all

Comment

Most of the freebie installers have the problem with changing drive destination. Even the one for Windows acts up from time to time. With civ3 files it is silly to use anything but zip for installing them. Only files not a program after all
                Well, the keyword there is "most", hence this one doesn't have that problem. This setup creator is very good and has a decent compression rate (the same as winzip in fact). However, a few more files are included with the Setup, so that makes the file around 1/4mb larger. If, Korn, is going to include the graphic files with the mod, then a nice Setup that can easily/properly allocate the files may be neccesary. All in all, I don't think it matters too much, especially considering there isn't much 'action' going on with this mod (or any other mod for that matter).
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Cool

Okay I will certainly check that installer out then. It really isn't that big a deal until some mod maker requires you create 5-20 folders to make a mod work . Whatever works to make it easy on the end user of that mod.
                  There is action with The Balancer ! We just finished the PTW mod pack. Now we are working hard on the 1.29f Balancer 3.0. We should release the latest version by this weekend, maybe later, maybe earlier .

Comment

It really isn't that big a deal until some mod maker requires you create 5-20 folders to make a mod work
                    also note that sometimes when things like this happens, it is because the mod is in beta and the mod maker didn't have time to add any polish to the mod, because they are just seeing if the basics work

if anyone has wondered why nothing has been going on with this mod, i have been working with a few other mod makers on a new mod, bring different sets of experiences to the table and seeing how they mesh, i think you'll enjoy it and you should check it out it'll be on the PtW disk

but i'll check out the things you all listed and incorporate them into future versions, although if anyone wants to volunteer for the position of .bic transcripter i'd be more than grateful since my time is limited, if not then it'll come out just very slowly...hmmm actually i think i might post this in the creation section of the game
                    Last edited by korn469; August 21, 2002, 21:09.

Comment

I use Winrar, personally

Hey guys, just to let you know I use Winrar for distribution of the Balancer . All I do is go to the folder that I store my mod files in (all already in the correct sub-folders), I highlight the folders and files I want included, I right click and I select add to archive..., from there all I do is set it to zip, put the compression mode to best and name the file.

It is pretty easy to do and takes no time or effort at all. Anytime I distribute our Mod, even if it is just to our testers, I always do this. And even more importantly, you want it as easy as it can be to install the mod for the user. The less hassle the user has setting it up the more time and energy he can spend testing/enjoying your mod, instead of getting frusterated by a painstakingly droll setup procedure. I mean no offense, at all, I just know that when I was playing mods for any games, I would sometimes give up or not even try because it seemed too hard or too annoying.

I don't use a self-extractor, although they include one with the Winrar. The Winrar self-extractor uses an SFX extension. I haven't read the license agreement, but I don't think you have to purchase the right to distribute anything with it, I believe that is just winzip. Since I don't have the time or energy to decipher the license agreement I just don't use that option. I hope this helps, if anyone has any questions please ask.

Rob
                      Yours in gaming,
                      ~Luc

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

i personally think that normal civ3 fixed ICS, but that the rate of expansion was a little too fast, and 3 pop 50 shield settlers certainly slow REX down some, but try it and tell me what you think
                        what the heck is REX? I've seen it referred to in other threads, is it just the new euphemism for ICS?
                        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

REX=Rapid EXpansion
                          it's like ICS but not exactly, more like a cousin of ICS than anything...where as ICS was part strategy and part exploit, REX is more like part strategy and part AI behavior

hope that helps

Comment

License Includes SFX

Found out that Winrar does include the self extractor as part of their license. Of course, to legally use Winrar you have to register, well worth the $30 in my opinion. Especially as a mod maker.

It's compression rate is quite a bit more then zip and with the self-extractor anyone can unrar it. For example, our latest mod rars down to about 8MB but is almost 10MB zipped.

So you get bet I will be distributing the next version of the mod with the self-extractor.

Well I hope I was of some help. Have a blast.
                            Yours in gaming,
                            ~Luc

Comment

Elucidus, I think the main reason why WinZip is used over other file compression programs is because it is the most widely used. WinZip is already an established program; therefore, it is common for people to already have WinZip. Whereas, WinRar is not as common, so if you use WinRar for your file compression then you might make quite a few people have to download WinRar, as well. Either way, WinRar is still better, but some people are really lazy and might not want to download WinRar.

Although, I doubt this matters 20+ days later after your llast post.

Comment

Not to mention!

He already realizes everything you are saying he was just trying to be helpful. Winrar is a superior product and I think most people that are into downloading large files will have it anyways. You are right though, 20 days later what is the point of replying to a message

Comment

Working...
                                X