Flat maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat maps

Are flat maps possible with the new patch? If so, how do I do it? If not, when will this option be added to Civ3?
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

No they're not, you need a save game editor and I don't know.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

PtW probably, and you can use Gramps' CMT to make a map flat.

Comment

you CAN make flat-maps, but only through putting alternate columns (1 tile wide) of mountains and oceans on the edges of the map - it will be almost totally impossible (unless you nuke the mountains down or fly helicopters over them - but who ever does THAT?) to wrap around the map then.

this is a very poor fix in terms of historical accuracy, but it will make a flat map for you.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Can you nuke mountains down?
          The difference between industrial society and information society:
          In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
          In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
            you CAN make flat-maps, but only through putting alternate columns (1 tile wide) of mountains and oceans on the edges of the map - it will be almost totally impossible (unless you nuke the mountains down or fly helicopters over them - but who ever does THAT?) to wrap around the map then.

this is a very poor fix in terms of historical accuracy, but it will make a flat map for you.
            Like I said, or you can just use the CMT which automatically makes a 'real' flat map.

And no, mountains can't be blased by nukes.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

Like I said, or you can just use the CMT which automatically makes a 'real' flat map.

And no, mountains can't be blased by nukes.
              I am curious.
              How can CMT do that?
              Is there some hidden flag in BIC file or what?

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                I am curious.
                How can CMT do that?
                Is there some hidden flag in BIC file or what?
                I'm not sure, you'll have to ask Gramps about that.

Comment

Does the multi-tool work with 1.29? I hadnt checked and had assumed it wouldnt Or has he already released a new version

Comment

Hey, it's Gramphos you're talking about, of course he already has a new version! I'm not sure if it has all the features working yet though, I haven't tried everything.

Comment

This whole flat map thing is so confusing. Putting aside the question of why it is not included in the 1.29 editor, I have tried to use the new version of the CMT tool but the results were quite wierd.

I am not exactly sure as to what "flat map" means in the CMT tool. I ran it on a test map and heres what happened (note: the map was all grassland).

1. Ran new scenario with fog of war (blackness) in place. When clicked on edge of mini-map the game crashed.

2. Restarted and daved the same scenario and cleared fog of war and now the game works fine......however I could walk all the way around and the other civs did the same thing and established cities (going past the end of map border).

I wonder is it something I am doing wrong or is the new CMT tool not working with the latest bic files when it comes to flat maps.

Overall, however, I must congratulate the CMT creator(s) for giving us such great tools.

Comment

The mountain + ocean solution doesn't really produce a Flat Map - it produces a Round Map that you cannot sail, drive or walk around. This is a huge difference when it comes to corruption and such - the city distance will be calculated differently.
                        Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Corruption...that will have to be altered on big flat map scns (like Europe). The way it is now is 'world' standard, wouldn't be realistic.
                          "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoStar
                            Corruption...that will have to be altered on big flat map scns (like Europe). The way it is now is 'world' standard, wouldn't be realistic.
                            hehe have your capital in portugal and bulgaria has virtually no corruption, because it's just a few tiles away
                            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Working...
                            X