Help: Problems with SafeDisk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Problems with SafeDisk.

I normally play Civ3 on my home Desktop but I'm going to be going on a trip to another state next week so I started loading all of my usual programs, including Civ3, on to my HP 5395 Laptop. Imagine my agast when I couldn't get v1.29f to work on my newish (less then a year old) laptop. The game installed fine but when I went to play it kept telling me to put the CD in after I had already put it in.

At first I thought it was a problem with my computer because I had a similiar thing happen with Europa Universalis 2 v1.05 but Europa worked fine after I reinstalled it once. I tried reinstalling Civ3 and it didn't help. I don't understand because I have a factory disk that runs fine on my desktop; it's just my laptop that it doesn't work on.

Has anyone else had this problem? The only thing I can think is that it's a problem with safedisk or a hardware problem but the HP has always worked correctly so I'm guessing it's the copy protection that's having a problem. Any one have any ideas?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Did you uninstall before reinstalling? I had the same problem, so I uninstalled, then reinstalled first Civ3, then the 1.29 patch. I did discover one additional thing--make sure your patch file is not read-only. If it is, it will not work properly, though I'm not sure why. After I reinstalled Civ3, I tried the patch, but all it would do time after time was to uninstall the files that are fixed by the patch. I couldn't figure it out. Then it dawned on me that the file was read only, since I was running from a CD on which I had burned the patch. So, I copied it to my hard drive and removed the read-only attribute, and everything worked fine. Give it a try.

Comment

send a mail to firaxis. It happens quite a few times.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

RwPrice: I guess the third time is the charm. I windexed the cd to make sure it was clean then I uninstalled the game then reinstalled it. This time it worked like a charm. The first two times I didn't clean the disk (it sure looked clean though) and I didn't uninstall before trying to reinstall so maybe that was what did it. Either way v1.29 seems to be working just fine now. It was a weird experience.

Comment

Oerdin: There are always the no-cd patches, but I fear the worst if I were to post a link in this forum. I'm sure a knowledgeable fellow such as yourself could find them though.
          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

wind.exe d. Sounds like a good utility. Where can I down load that?

Sorry, but when I read that, I thought 'what the heck did he do to that CD? wind exe... never heard of it.'

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Hehe, windexed does sort of sund like a good window utility. Alright if anyone uses this name to make a million dollars I want 10%.

Comment

If I remember, no game company tests their programs on laptops because of the very wide variety of hardware config and setup. A lot of things are compressed, and so games tend to die.

I just got a Dell Inspir. 2650, and so far the only programs that die are the ones for DOS (they don't respond well to the keyboard).

If you run a game on your laptop, do so on your own risk.
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                  Oerdin: There are always the no-cd patches, but I fear the worst if I were to post a link in this forum. I'm sure a knowledgeable fellow such as yourself could find them though.
                  Don't tell me they exist allready for 1.29
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848

Don't tell me they exist allready for 1.29

Deviance has made one and it has been sent to gamecopyworld. Gamecopyworld will have theirs up very soon! It is unbelievable that they come out so fast.
                    For your photo needs:
                    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Working...
                    X