AI and Governments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI and Governments

Now, I know the AI has a tendency to go with whatever government comes along on the tech tree, but if a government is truly BAD, will they shy away from it. If I were to make a modern era government that was just TERRIBLE, would the AI still switch to it anyway?
    Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

unsure. But you can make the AI shun that particular governement by changing the civs in the editor.
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

While I can't comment on the AI's reaction to 'terrible' governments, I know for sure that if you create a 'super' government, every AI will switch to it eventually. This was the case with 'Fascism' in korn's blitz mod (trade bonus, no war weariness, high unit support, nuisance corruption).
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Trade bonus, plus high unit support always makes uber governmens (--> best research).

And if you remove war weariness...

Comment

Currently I'm tinkering with some Fascist government ideas. E.g. trade bonus, no war weariness, low unit support (e.g. 1/2/4), support costs of 2, rampant corruption, forced labor. Should be a good choice for small war-mongering nations.

BTW, low unit support and support costs of 2 would also be appropriate for Republic and Democracy IMO. Small military = save money compared to the standard setting. Large military = put a real strain on your economy.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Re: AI and Governments

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
            Now, I know the AI has a tendency to go with whatever government comes along on the tech tree, but if a government is truly BAD, will they shy away from it. If I were to make a modern era government that was just TERRIBLE, would the AI still switch to it anyway?
            If you go to "Civilizations" in the editor, you will find a couple of areas you can adjust for each civ. One is their preferred gov, the other is the one they will avoid if they're given a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
              Currently I'm tinkering with some Fascist government ideas. E.g. trade bonus, no war weariness, low unit support (e.g. 1/2/4), support costs of 2, rampant corruption, forced labor. Should be a good choice for small war-mongering nations.

BTW, low unit support and support costs of 2 would also be appropriate for Republic and Democracy IMO. Small military = save money compared to the standard setting. Large military = put a real strain on your economy.
              Looks to much uber for me.

Only bad thing compared to Republic or Demo is pop rushing.

Comment

Re: Re: AI and Governments

Originally posted by Willem

If you go to "Civilizations" in the editor, you will find a couple of areas you can adjust for each civ. One is their preferred gov, the other is the one they will avoid if they're given a choice.
                I don't thing that it realy works that way.

Anyway all civs use all govenment options, and don't shun any of them as far as I have seen.

P.S.
                Hmmm...
                Maybe it only affects diplomcy?
                Like make firends with democrats or hate communists.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                  Looks to much uber for me.

Only bad thing compared to Republic or Demo is pop rushing.
                  Hmm ... 'rampant' corruption is also worse than Rep/Dem. And I forgot to mention low assimilation and high resistance modifiers.

Still, you may be right about 'uber'.

Comment

I think that the preferred/shunned settings do work--the AI just seems pragmatic enough that if it sees a big enough advantage to a government it shuns, it'll switch anyways. The biggest difference I've seen in the default governments comes from Monarchy/Communism; normally the AI loves Communist and will switch to it at the slightest hint of a war, but civs that prefer Monarchy or shun Communism will sometimes go to Monarchy instead. It's a rare sight to see a civ deliberately pick Republic over Democracy, though.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: AI and Governments

Originally posted by player1

I don't thing that it realy works that way.
                      Then why do you think this feature is included in the editor?

Comment

Working...
                      X