Question about Resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Resources?

If I set the computer to let me put oil on ocean squares will the Civs be able to use that resource to build units. Or does the resource have to be on dry land with a road to it?
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Don't know. Try it out and tell us! I'd be interested to know.

Comment

the resource has to be on dry land with a road to it.
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

If you allow the terrain to have a road be buit on it (in the terrain editor, add some commerce to be gained from roads) and allow a ship to do it it might work, we'd just have to see. So try that out and tell us how it oges.

Comment

There is a mod someone made with oil allowed to appear on coast squares as well as the normal desert etc.

The one problem with this is that all the oil would tend to concentrate on the coasts - giving a nice proiduction bonus, but it meant you caouldn't build a road to it, and therefore could never build units that needed oil!

If you change this, you have been warned.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

They should make it so that a "water" resource/luxury is available to a city if:
            1. The tile is within your borders,
            2. The city has a harbor with an open water route to the tile, or is connected to a city that does, and
            3. You have the tech necessary to allow harbors to be connected over that type of water square.

If the resource is allowed in ocean squares, this might require revoking the "law of the open ocean" now in the game -- borders normally never extend into the ocean. Also, or alternatively, you would want to let workers on boats build offshore platforms, the water equivalent of a colony. (They would have to be given a different name, since Offshore Platform is already a city improvement. Or that city improvement could be renamed or just removed.) Otherwise most of the resource might be far out in the ocean, removed from anywhere where anyone could build a city.

It's fairly obvious that as it is, the game is really not set up for water resources.
            "God is dead." - Nietzsche
            "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

add a unit that is a worker on coastal/sea squares, and that can make roads on water. I believe a thing like that has been tried in civ2.
              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                add a unit that is a worker on coastal/sea squares, and that can make roads on water. I believe a thing like that has been tried in civ2.
                The thing is, will the AI know to build one of those units? If not, then the human player will have a huge advantage.

Comment

one way to find out
                  Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Working...
                  X