"DataIO operation system error:Bic"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "DataIO operation system error:Bic"

I am having a problem with all of my saved games.

After about a week of play on Windows 2000 (Intel PII 450, 256 mb memory, 1.88 gb free hdd space) I started having problems launching the game. For some reason when I was starting the game the CD was not being recognised - I kept being prompted for the Civ3 CD. Note that I am running an original boxed version of the product, not a copy.

So I decided to uninstall and reinstall the game, making backups of my save files of course. So I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, repatched, rebooted.

Initially attempts to load my old save games resulted in the Civ3 error "Not a valid save file". *ALL* my old saved game files I had (about a dozen), including autosaves.

However I found I could save and load games started from after my reinstallation normally.

After a bit of hunting around I found a saved game editor (Gramphos's Multitool Beta 0.93.5) that could successfully open and export saved games with apparent success, a process I hoped would fix the corrupted saves.

Yet attempting to load these games in Civ3 resulted in the error message: "DataIO operation system error: BIC". I have looked here and at civfanatics for a post or thread even mentioning this specific error, but only found DataIO errors pertaining to TILE, CITY, CULT etc.

I am curious as to why ALL my saved games should be corrupted - I would suspect a virus yet my scans have found no such infection.

I have attached a save game from early in the game, and a save from later on in the game, prior to any modification/exporting from Multitool.

Any help would definitely appreciated.

- F
    Attached Files

Problem Resolved

I reapplied the 121f patch again, and my old saved games started working.

Hmm, I suppose a positive aspect of this is that if any other muppets pop in with a "dataIO bic" error this may help.

Oh dear, where can I put my head.

Comment

I'll say it again: you have to apply the patch twice. Once to uninstall the old stuff and the second time to put the new stuff in...
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Working...
      X