Question about Fortresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Fortresses

Can some one help me. What use are fortresses. I’ve tried building them and ZOE never seems to work and they don’t expand your border. Can anyone give me a example of were there worth building?
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

as far as i know, they only give a defensive bonus.

Comment

I almost never build them since I dont see much value. I guess a garrisoned fortess built on top of a resource that is near the border wouldnt be a bad idea.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

They are supposed to give a zone of control, but it works differently to Civ2. Instead of preventing the enemy from moving past the fortress, units occupying a fortress (or indeed any unit with a ZOC) can take a kind of 'pot shot' at enemy units moving through that 9-square zone. However, it doesn't occur with every unit passing through the ZOC and I'm not sure what the formula is.
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I've never seen evidence of the ZOC effect of fortresses but it could be like the naval defenses (I forget the correct term) that are very subtle.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I got into the habit of building them every other square in key areas, then putting a bombard unit in each, along with a defensive unit. The AI will almost always try to go through the middle, rather than fight the Fort. So by the time the enemy unit reached my city, they were usually pretty badly damaged, especially if the ZoC also kicked in. Which it very seldom does.

Comment

AFAIK fortresses only give a defensive bonus.
              I usually use them to protect strategic places like mountain near a border city.
              Nym
              "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Working...
              X