espionage problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• espionage problems

Hi -- I'm having trouble getting Espionage going, even with an Intelligence Agency. All I can get are the two simple ones, investigating cities and trying to steal technology.

How do I "plant a spy" and start doing the cool stuff?

I appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Howard

On the main map, the city with the Intelligence Agency should have an icon next to it. Double click on it.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Don't get greedy. Only plant one spy in a turn, planting more than one will result in next spy being discovered or the other way around.(first one being discoverd while the next is not)

[edit=I should really learn my spelling, but not now]
      Last edited by W4r_Machine; July 7, 2002, 14:15.
      Janitor, janitor
      scrub in vein
      for the $h1t house poet
      have struck again

Comment

Personally, I don't have much use for them. Relative to results, they're not cost-effective...

Comment

far too likely to cause a war, IMO
          Up the Irons!
          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
          Odysseus and the March of Time
          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I actually like spies. I've found that if you plant spies in a civ that hasn't discovered espionage yet, it will always get placed, at least on regent where I play. I never use any of the spies missions, they're way too expensive for what you get, why steal a tech for 3000 gold when you can trade for it for 150? But they're nice because you get to see how many of each unit the enemy has, and I find this information invaluable.
            They don't call me Springfield Fats because I'm morbidly obese!

Comment

Missions are too expensive and that's the sole reason I do not use them. I do plant them though as Palleon said the info is nice.
              Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
              Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
              Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                far too likely to cause a war, IMO
                That's true. That is the reason why I usually try to plant spies when I am already at war.
                Else, spies are useful for enemy units' inventory and spaceship race. Missions are far too expensive to be valuable.
                Nym
                "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Yeah, the unit info is good. Just wish the advisor knew the diff between combat and non-combat units (hear that's coming..)

Comment

Re: espionage problems

Originally posted by NewCivPlayer
                    Hi -- I'm having trouble getting Espionage going, even with an Intelligence Agency. All I can get are the two simple ones, investigating cities and trying to steal technology.

How do I "plant a spy" and start doing the cool stuff?

I appreciate any help.
                    like zulu said: double click on the Intelligence Agency star (civ map by the city nametag)
                    other solution: keyboard shortcut CTRL-SHIFT-E

IMHO "steal plans" is the only useful and costeffective mission. but i only use that before a turn with a widerange, highly-offensive massive attack. (attack which city, which unit to bombard, etc.)
                    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Re: Re: espionage problems

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                      like zulu said: double click on the Intelligence Agency star (civ map by the city nametag)
                      more precisely, the icon is a grey pentagon.
                      Nym
                      "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Working...
                      X