• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Unit tutorial

3D Unit tutorial 1
    3D Studio Max
    By Level

First create the unit model (this tutorial will not tell how to make the unit, I used one I made for fun)

Prepare the scene
    Set the environment background to a unused color (usually magenta)
    Create a floor object with the same color and about 50% self-illumination (the floor will not have shadows but will receive them)
    Set the civ-specific color to a less used or unused color (usually blue)
    Add two default lights to the scene
    Set the upper light to cast shadows
    Add a targeted camera at an angle of about 45 degrees
    Add a dummy centered below the unit and link the camera and lights to it (this allows you to rotate the camera and lights easily)
    Set the lights to cast shadows at the right place
    Turn on show safe frame in the camera view port and adjust the camera position and render size to what is appropriate for the unit (check other units)
    Save

Animate
    Make the animation for one FLC (Default, Run, ect.)
    Tip: if you want to have a better walking animation, make it walk then link the dummy and floor to the unit with sliding joints only in the direction it is moving
    Turn off the animate button
    Select the dummy and lock selection

Rendering
    Set which frames and how many to render
    Name the file something like “Unit_Run_SW_”
    Save as .BMP with 8 bit optimized palette (256 colors)
    Render each direction then roatate the dummy 45% and change the direction in the name
    When done make animation for the other FLCs either as other files or as a sequence in the same file
    Render the unit_32.pcx (usually a default SE view) with a size of 32x32
    You can also make the UnitLarge.pcx 128x128 and the UnitSmall.pcx 32x32 pose the unit any way you want (it does not need civ-specific colors and is best without the magenta background, not sure about size) you can also use a real picture or anything else you want
    Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
    in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
    3D Unit tutorial
    My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

3D Unit tutorial 2
    BMP to FLC
    By Level

This tutorial is also useful for non 3D units

Extract
    Make a folder with the name you want your unit to be called in the game
    In FLICster extract a unit with similar colors to storyboard PCX or BMP if available
    Changing the size and frame numbers as necessary
    Open it in a program that can change palettes (PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.)
    Change the last color to the background color of the unit you made (in PhotoShop the palette is reversed)
    Change the colors just before the last to the same color fading to a darker color (the farther back the darker the shadows and the more colors you use the smother they are, not sure how far back the shadows go)
    Make sure the civ-specific colors are the same
    Change any other colors needed
    Save as 256 color BMP

Compose
    In a program that pastes with nearest color not palette number (MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) open the storyboard and the first frame
    Note: in some versions of windows MS Paint can open PCXs but it flips the palette, it is also best not to edit in MS Paint as it can mess up the palette.
    Cut and paste from the frame to the story board
    Repeat until done
    You can edit any thing you want
    You may have to save as PCX
    In FLICster extract the FXM to Civ3 Unit FLC
    Tip: if the unit is not at the right place in the game extract to multiple FLCs then change the offset in the INI that FLICster made to a lower number to move it up or a higher number to move it down, then open the INI (All Files [*.*]) in FLICster and export it back to a FLC
    Copy an Unit.INI (not the FLICster INI) from another unit and rename it to what you named the folder
    In the Unit.INI change to or add the FLCs that you made
    Add to the game and have fun

Suggested Programs:
    3D Studio Max
    FLICster (I used v1.0.1 (build 18))
    Paint Shop Pro (free trial available)

If there is any thing you want me to add, I did not explain good enough, or if you have any questions just tell me

Edited to clarify some steps

Level
    Last edited by Level; July 13, 2002, 03:28.
    3D Unit tutorial

Comment

Link to kinboats POVRay howto http://angstadt.virtualave.net/HowTo.htm
      Edit includes link to Free trial
      Last edited by Level; July 13, 2002, 03:30.
      3D Unit tutorial

Comment

I've noticed that MS Paint can save as 4 different kinds of bitmap - monochrome, 16 colour, 256 colour and 24-bit. Does it matter which? (obviously monochrome's out)
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

thanks for this, I am still trying to learn 3d, I did a few cool things but I always stuff up the polygons, for example, lets say I am making a plane, one one side of the plane will be fine, but the other side is missing and I think its coz the connections to each points is wrong, but its such a difficult thing to get the hang of, because I never know which is the correct point, etc *sigh*

anyway, I use lightwave 7 and I'm not sure if I can use that to make units for civ3 or not?
          be free

Comment

Lightwave 7 should be fine--I use 5.6 because all the newer versions keep crashing on my system.

A solution to your problem is to delete one side of the object, select all the points that run along the middle, use Ctrl-V (I think the shortcuts are still the same, you'll have to check) to set the X-value of the points to zero. Then use the Mirror function along the X-axis at zero also to duplicate the object on the other side. Then use the Merge Points function and that should stich the object up along the centre and voila, you have a perfectly symmetrical object.
            Regards,
            Col. Rhombus

Comment

yes, why don't I think of simple things like that, thanks

of course I am just beginning this is all totally new to me, still trying to understand the interface
              be free

Comment

Updated.
                3D Unit tutorial

Comment

Working...
                X