Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about GL

Great Leaders

I have played about 15 or so Civ3 games and so far I have not seen a great leader in action. All the games I play are millitary campains and so far I've only seen one great leader rises amognst my vast ellite units, and that one died shortly after becoming GL.

I've read here that some people can get as much as 6 GL in one turn yet I cannot duplicate that success with my games. I tried to increase my odds by building Heroic Epic and other Millitaristic building but squat!

I'm in constant battle but GL still eludes me. AI seems to get GL often cuase it uses it to attack me or rush wonders while I still have a gazzilion more turns to get the Wonder.
    Janitor, janitor
    scrub in vein
    for the $h1t house poet
    have struck again

getting the first leader is key, but it depends on numerous things, like militaristic civ or not, heroic epoc built or not. When it comes down to it, it just matters on how often you have elite units winning. If you can get a huge elite army, and have them constantly in battle against inferrior units, then you should be getting 1 every few turns at least.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

GLs are the most erratic part of the game

The last game I played, as the Chinese (militaristic and industrious), I made a point of always fighting with my elites whenever possible. I spent pretty much the whole game at war (conquest in ~1450 AD, regent, small pangaea, 6 civs) but didn't get my first GL until more than 3/4 of the way through the game. I built the Heroic Epic and only got one more in the game.

My current game, also as the Chinese, I had a few barbarian elitified (I know it's not a word ) archers kicking around when the Aztecs (foolishly) declared war in the Ancient Age. On the very first battle in my very first war I got a GL. I kept it around for my FP but didn't quite have a good location for it so I ended up rushing the Sistine Chapel with it. Soon, the Americans decided to attack with some archers (and me with 20 or so horsemen). a few battles and a couple of elites later, I had another GL. I'm keeping it around right now to rush J S Bachs since I still don't have the right FP spot.

So basically don't ever hold your breath for them or, even worse, depend on them appearing to help you out. If you get one then great. If not, just forget they're even a part of the game.

Watch this, after I use this GL I probably won't get another one for the rest of the game

Comment

Non the less, GL are great to have around. It's also fun to watch them in action...with the shouting and everything

And for once, I want to rush a wonder! Is that too much to ask!?

GL=insurance
        Janitor, janitor
        scrub in vein
        for the $h1t house poet
        have struck again

Comment

Last time I see GL (two or three) was during my last 1.07 game as the Babylonians. Since I have played numerous games under 1.21 and never got a GL; but I am not a warmonger (about 50 turns of war during a whole game).
          Nym
          "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

remember, only elite units can give you GL's. i know it's quite obvious but still
            ps: only 1 GL can be created by the same unite (unless you upgrade it, make it elite again, etc
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
              remember, only elite units can give you GL's. i know it's quite obvious but still
              ps: only 1 GL can be created by the same unite (unless you upgrade it, make it elite again, etc
              And you can only have one GL at a time.
              Nym
              "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

I'm pretty much at war during the whole game and I accumulate many elites from the resulting battle. I didn't know that you can only have Elite at any one time, but that's not a problem since I'm not getting any.

Thanks for the extra info.
                Janitor, janitor
                scrub in vein
                for the $h1t house poet
                have struck again

Comment

Originally posted by W4r_Machine
                  I didn't know that you can only have Elite at any one time, but that's not a problem since I'm not getting any.
                  Up the Irons!
                  Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                  Odysseus and the March of Time
                  I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

lol-I mean GL
                    Janitor, janitor
                    scrub in vein
                    for the $h1t house poet
                    have struck again

Comment

Originally posted by W4r_Machine
                      I didn't know that you can only have Elite at any one time, but that's not a problem since I'm not getting any.
                      How come??? Are you single

just kidding

ot : with the next patch you schould be able to see wich unite gave you a GL( marked with a ' * ' or something)
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I have a few questions regarding GLs.

Has anyone ever gotten a GL from battles with barbarians, or do they only appear with battles with other civs?

Can you get them from defensive battles or only offensive?

I've been playing now for a week, and I've had 4 GLs appear, but I can fight all day long with elites against barbarians, and get nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay98

Has anyone ever gotten a GL from battles with barbarians, or do they only appear with battles with other civs?
                          Only against other civs, AFAIK.

Yes. I think. But I do not remember very good.
                          Nym

Comment

Originally posted by Jay98

I've been playing now for a week, and I've had 4 GLs appear, but I can fight all day long with elites against barbarians, and get nothing...
                            One Link

A shortened version can be found here:

Shortened Version

In this one, I posted the comments from Mike B at Firaxis, but you will need to read through it since he made several updates in responses to people's questions.

Comment

Working...
                            X